Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do after battery is removed

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
u just drive and it sets it self iv takin mine out nothing changed

R

rattattack1313

slowr8 said:
Incorrect.

You need to setup the idle, and in theory, the computer will adjust to your driving style.

IE: for the first 15mins you drive it it will record what you do and adjust accodingly.

So DON'T put your foot on the brake when you put it in gear but do everything in stages IE: let it idle for 2 mins THEN put it in gear THEN take it out of gear and put the a/c on then turn the a/c off and put your lights on for 2 mins then turn off and do your radio and so-on

Everything needs to be done BEFORE you drive off, afte everything has been done, do it all at once without putting your foot on the brake. for 2 mins then repeat with your foot on the brake.

THEN you can drive it they way you want it to respond. (IE: hard and it won't worry about fuel econo and vise versa)
This is the case with ALL cars from VN days - the latest.
Grath don't know shite. not even about their own cars.

um...... doesn't he??? Okay...... interesting..he only owns about 4 of them...and has owned several more...... but as I have stated, I have removed the battery from my Vee Pe several times, and all I have to reset is the radio...the computer always seems happy enough..car runs as normal after each time....I think someone was pullling your leg when they told you all that crap ,slowr8..............maybe they just wanted you out of their way....give you something to do......

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Konker

hako said:
Thats funny - The official VS owners handbook and the workshop manual (Gregorys) say you just replace the battery taking normal precautions. I've had mine out many times in my ex-cop VS11 without a problem - never a dropoff in performance or anything. Only extra thing to do is put the pin code in the radio. Also I've replaced many batteries in other cars with ECUs and never had a problem.

it doesnt do any damage!! but it DOES affect performance. despite what you guys may think and feel your vehicles contains information about how you drive it and what conditions it can expect to vary often. ok if you buy a car from the factory that has never been started (impossible but stick with me) and you turn key and drive the whole way home at 1/4 throttle it will (when you have it at 1/4 throttle) accel fully. because the ecu takes the min air flow and max air flow and makes calculations to suit. it assumes that at some point someone wil put their foot down (we all do) once you put your foot further it then says oh **** that is now the max and so on and so on. your ecus memory is volotile (temporary) so when you disconnect the battery it loses CERTAIN information. thus when young guy buys a older drivers car it goes alot slower. this is because the ecu has "mapped" itself to drive to the last owners conditions.

so no you will not damage it but to get the best performance/economy ratio straight away this is what you should do. the a/c part offers a load. hence the varying turn lights on replies aswell. anyway just a little rant to explain things a little bit better to everyone.

cheers peace out

R

rattattack1313

says absolutely nothing about it in any of the manuals I have here...

K

Konker

rattattack1313 said:
says absolutely nothing about it in any of the manuals I have here...

what? i was explaining how the system in genral works not specific to vr holdens. telling you how en ecu uses info etc. so no your manual is not going to explain fundimentals but i thought people may be interested to learn this sorta stuff. may just be boring me but i love learning about the systems a car uses.

you are right tho you can just jump in and drive it.
simply put

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Konker - people are interested in how these things work so don't think your comments are not appreciated. I think you'll find that the ECU is constantly updating and relearning its parameters. What happens when you turn the ignition off? - if there is then no power to the ECU then this would be the same as disconnecting the battery.

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
Not alot of this is makins sense, along with ratattack I haven't seen this in any manuals and from experience I have witnessed no differences in economy or performance by doin any of the previuosly mentioned when replacing the battery terminals. The ECU constantl gathers information form the sensors and adjusts certain aspects to maintain smooth, economic driving. Why would the first set duration of time that the battery has been connected effect it from then on if the ECU is constantly adjusting fuel/air ratio etc. ??