Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to use to clean & condition the leather steering wheel

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I optioned the flat bottom, paddled, leather wheel on both the SV6 and SS.
Both are starting to look a bit lacklustre...I don’t want to be too vigorous with the cleaning as I have found previously with other wheels that the microfibre cloth can go black pretty quick and I’m sure it’s more than just dirt/grime being removed.

I don’t use any leather products on the seats etc as the SV6 and SS are alcantara with ‘pleather’ bolsters. Should I be looking at a dedicated leather cleaner/conditioner for the steering wheels or is there another product that will (a) clean the wheel without causing detriment to it, (b) darken up the colour and protect it (c) be non-greasy so it doesn’t affect grip etc?

Cheers for any suggestions...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I don't think you should be using anything to clean them, apart from a damp, clean chamois to remove sweaty palms residue.
If you are using something that removes the top coat, don't.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I don't think you should be using anything to clean them, apart from a damp, clean chamois to remove sweaty palms residue.
Ah..ok figjam. I haven’t actually used any product on them as yet....and haven’t used a chamois on anything in years...threw them away years ago but easy enough to pick one up.

Out of interest what sort of ‘topcoat’ would that be?...something that normally wouldn’t be found on leather seats & trim?

My hands are generally very clean when I get in the car...fussy that way, but I realise there will always be sweat and oils coming from the skin no matter how ‘clean’.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Why wouldn’t you use a reasonable brand generic leather cleaner/conditioner from someone like Car Care Products?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I think its treated/coated leather on the VF steering wheel and should not normally require anything put on it, other than a weak soapy solution to clean off any incidental grime (e.g. after a techie has gone from engine to steering wheel!) and sweaty hands. It looks to be a very high quality, durable finish so I would not be angling for something to add to it just on a whim. A few steering wheels have crossed my eyes (not necessarily Holden) with serious wear spots caused by drivers having big rings on multiple fingers. In that case, I suppose a dab of shoe polish and a shine might be a basic repatriative action. Otherwise, don't wear anything potentially abrading on fingers. All I do with my wheel is go around it with a thick microfibre cloth and soapy water and dry off. After a service, I wipe down with a Dettol wipe (same with gear selector).

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Well, real dead cow interiors are not really leather as you know it.
Generally, they are leather, but they are a 'split', (dunno how they achieve that) where the leather is sliced along its thickness to make it pliable and manageable. Put simply, this split is then processed to show a 'grain' and a 'sealer' applied over the top. But it will still breathe, and you have to condition leather seats to keep them soft and stop cracking.
Similarly, the leather on a steering wheel has this sealer over the leather, and if you remove that with a harsh cleaner, the leather underneath will just shred up and look crap. Best to cover it up also if the car is parked in the sun.

My back seats went hard at the top and the stitching split (sun damage), Holden didn't want to know about it, but I worked with a motor trimmer. Pulled the covers off, and after I had worked some of his magic potion into the leather over a few weeks, it regained its softness and he was able to restitch with a heavier UV resistant thread. That was nearly 10 years ago, and it is still in good condition, and I now have a better respect for upkeep of leather, (rather than pleather) interiors.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Similarly, the leather on a steering wheel has this sealer over the leather, and if you remove that with a harsh cleaner, the leather underneath will just shred up and look crap. Best to cover it up also if the car is parked in the sun.

Absolutely right.
I never leave my car in the sun anyway (and it can be fekkin' hot in Alice!!). I burnt my hands in my first V6 with its crap plastic steering wheel back in 2007 (waiting for the Kangaroo Island ferry at the time).

PS: Can somebody tell me what the material is on the seats. No complaints about them, not at all, I just dont know if it's leather, vinyl or something else (other than the suade and vinyl strip). It looks of better quality than what VW uses (and Holden is way above par in the quality of finish department in that regard, too!).

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@Holden17 I use autoglym leather cleaner an leather conditioner every 3-6 months same as the seats front and rear and all the leather looks like new and is about as soft and supple as you can get it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I just wanna catch this ferry from Alice Springs to Kangaroo Island! :p