Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What type is the standard battery in the VF Commodore... AGM or Calcium?

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
When I bought the car I noticed on the Chevrolet SS site that they get an AGM or glass mat battery which demands a particular type of top up charger so I went out and bought the appropriate charger. Today I was at the battery shop for a new battery for the other, non Commodore car, and enquired about the VF battery situation with an eye on the appropriate replacement cycle etc. They have no listing yet for the VF....

So the question remains, what battery exactly is in the VF? AGM or Calcium? Can one go to the AGM style without causing other problems?

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Calcium. Yes. Nearly all motorbikes have agm. I would check will Holden prior to fitting especially if the car is under warranty.

I run a race AGM battery in my F6

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
Calcium. Yes. Nearly all motorbikes have agm. I would check will Holden prior to fitting especially if the car is under warranty.

I run a race AGM battery in my F6

Thanks for that. Since its calcium I now know how to charge it correctly and what is the best replacement cycle. Cheers!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Talk about Calcium Batteries what life expectancy do you expect from these batteries.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Battery life expectancy is like asking, "how longs a piece of string".
All depends on starting cycles, battery load, temperature, things like that.
Everyone is going to have different battery life span story's.
I've had oem batteries last any where from 12 months to 6 years.
I trick is don't let them go flat, one quick way to shorten the life of a car battery.
As far as replacement batteries go, I have found the supercharge gold batteries reliable, I have only ever had one battery out of the 10 I've bought, not last the 36 month warranty, and got that replaced with no hassle.
I avg about 4 - 6 years from there batteries.
Latest battery just bought now comes with 40 month warranty.
Just for recorded I don't work for them either.
Have used mostly century, and exide batteries before, and they all died just after their 2 or 3 year warranty.

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
I recently discussed this battery with the AC Delco battery expert from Holden.

The Response I received is below:

For your reference, the battery is not an AGM type. It is a Sealed Maintenance Free (SMF) Calcium flooded battery.

Regards,
Graeme Swaine
ACDelco Manager

AC Delco Image.jpg

ACDelco Australia
MAIL POINT H105B 191 SALMON STREET
PORT MELBOURNE VIC AUSTRALIA 3207

SSLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS LS3
I recently discussed this battery with the AC Delco battery expert from Holden.

The Response I received is below:

For your reference, the battery is not an AGM type. It is a Sealed Maintenance Free (SMF) Calcium flooded battery.

Regards,
Graeme Swaine
ACDelco Manager

View attachment 193746
ACDelco Australia
MAIL POINT H105B 191 SALMON STREET
PORT MELBOURNE VIC AUSTRALIA 3207

Good to know

SSLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS LS3
Battery life expectancy is like asking, "how longs a piece of string".
All depends on starting cycles, battery load, temperature, things like that.
Everyone is going to have different battery life span story's.
I've had oem batteries last any where from 12 months to 6 years.
I trick is don't let them go flat, one quick way to shorten the life of a car battery.
As far as replacement batteries go, I have found the supercharge gold batteries reliable, I have only ever had one battery out of the 10 I've bought, not last the 36 month warranty, and got that replaced with no hassle.
I avg about 4 - 6 years from there batteries.
Latest battery just bought now comes with 40 month warranty.
Just for recorded I don't work for them either.
Have used mostly century, and exide batteries before, and they all died just after their 2 or 3 year warranty.

What do you think of using a heavy duty battery , wont that be better for both life span and better power ?

I have used this in a lancer in the past ( heavy duty exide ) and everything was better , brighter lights , stronger cranking etc.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I noted that the battery in my Gen-F2 GTS was an AC Delco AFA 92281005 (manufactured in the Philippines) CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) 610, RC (Reserve Capacity) 125 mins.

A replacement battery (the only one I could find with a limited search), was a SuperCharge Gold Plus MF66H with CCA 750, RC 154 mins. So it's worthwhile replacing the standard battery with a better one (also made in Australia), once the standard one fails.

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
When the battery is so weak it can hardly start the car and the starter almost stalls, the computer for the ESP will fault and you will get a message on the console like "Service ESP" with the spanner symbol. The engine then seems to run in Limp mode. If you shut the car down for several hours, the computers will reset automatically and the apparent ESP fault will be gone. I know all this cause I had this problem recently.