Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What type is the standard battery in the VF Commodore... AGM or Calcium?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My 2016 Redline’s original battery was on its way, hard to start at times. When reviewing the battery voltage on the instrument cluster it would never really drop below 14.5/14.7v.

I have just replaced the original AC Delco with a Supercharge MF66H. Upon cold start start up, the voltage reads around 14.7v and settles at 12.3/12.4v after a few minutes.
Hey Mate, how you finding the SC battery? I've used them in the past and have one I use for camping to run a fridge and it's nine years old and still going strong. I'm considering one for the VE only $176, same spec AC Delco is just over $280, which I know is a good battery, just a lot more exi.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hey Mate, how you finding the SC battery? I've used them in the past and have one I use for camping to run a fridge and it's nine years old and still going strong. I'm considering one for the VE only $176, same spec AC Delco is just over $280, which I know is a good battery, just a lot more exi.
Doesn’t really answer your question but a $280 battery that lasts for 5 (or 10) years ultimately costs the same as a $176 battery that lasts 3 (or 6) year.

So it will be interesting to hear @struggo’s reply though how long any battery lasts can be very dependant on how they are used.

Then the question becomes how long each battery lives (ACD vrs SC) given the same usage conditions. One bonus is our batteries live in the boot away from engine heat does help prolong their life (other conditions being equal).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No guarantee a Delco will get six - seven years, and no guarantee an SC battery won't get six - seven years. I'm surprised my dual purpose SC is still going after nine years. It was used as an aux for a couple of years before I pulled it and used it as a camping battery. Lost count how many times its been run down to 11.8v or maybe lower and charge up on te charger.

I'm in two minds about whether I go with another SC or Delco. SC at Autobarn is around $260 on special so price wise they are about the same if comparing the average store. Difference is I can buy an SC from the warehouse, which is why it's the price it is. I can't get a good deal on a Delco otherwise I'd not consider something else.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Modern calcium batteries aren’t bad, AGM even better. And they do last longer than batteries of old… back in the 80’s getting 3 year of life from one’s battery wasn’t uncommon.

The fly in the ointment is how the BCM algorithm handles the charging and what assumptions the BCM makes about the battery that’s installed in the vehicle. Would a calcium or an AGM battery be better suited to the charge algorithm in our commodores? Can we even tell the BCM that a new fully charged battery has been installed (I think not) :oops:

As is I just provided the maths to show that if an ACDelco battery lasts 5 years and a SC battery lasts 3 years, given identical usage, their costs are identical. Still, if such holds true, I’d go for the cheaper battery just cause it’s less money out of my pocket on the given day. I’d be even more likely to go the (initially) cheaper way given your experience with your SC fridge battery :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Modern calcium batteries aren’t bad, AGM even better. And they do last longer than batteries of old… back in the 80’s getting 3 year of life from one’s battery wasn’t uncommon.

The fly in the ointment is how the BCM algorithm handles the charging and what assumptions the BCM makes about the battery that’s installed in the vehicle. Would a calcium or an AGM battery be better suited to the charge algorithm in our commodores? Can we even tell the BCM that a new fully charged battery has been installed (I think not) :oops:

As is I just provided the maths to show that if an ACDelco battery lasts 5 years and a SC battery lasts 3 years, given identical usage, their costs are identical. Still, if such holds true, I’d go for the cheaper battery just cause it’s less money out of my pocket on the given day. I’d be even more likely to go the (initially) cheaper way given your experience with your SC fridge battery :p
The BCM will take a few start and drive cycles to learn the new characteristics of a replacement battery.