Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What type is the standard battery in the VF Commodore... AGM or Calcium?

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Whatever battery you have in your Holden, other car, or motorbike... Calcium or AGM, look into getting a quality battery charger to substantially extend the battery's useful life. I've doubled the useful life of a number of car batteries over the years now with a CTEK charger and the charger's still going strong after 10+ years. I just cycle the car's batteries through a full charge once every 3 weeks (although I miss a couple of weeks here or there as I'm not precious about it).

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

For best deal, buy them on sale on eBay from Australian authorised CTEK sellers. They're on sale as of date of this post.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Whatever battery you have in your Holden, other car, or motorbike... Calcium or AGM, look into getting a quality battery charger to substantially extend the battery's useful life. I've doubled the useful life of a number of car batteries over the years now with a CTEK charger and the charger's still going strong after 10+ years. I just cycle the car's batteries through a full charge once every 3 weeks (although I miss a couple of weeks here or there as I'm not precious about it).

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

For best deal, buy them on sale on eBay from Australian authorised CTEK sellers. They're on sale as of date of this post.
Done. $103, free postage. I needed a new one for the cars and boat.
Thanks for the tip!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Can you charge the battery in the vf without disconnecting terminals?

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Can you charge the battery in the vf without disconnecting terminals?
With a smart charger, yep. Doing it right now actually.

Attachments

• IMG_7551.jpg
    IMG_7551.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
My 2016 Redline’s original battery was on its way, hard to start at times. When reviewing the battery voltage on the instrument cluster it would never really drop below 14.5/14.7v.

I have just replaced the original AC Delco with a Supercharge MF66H. Upon cold start start up, the voltage reads around 14.7v and settles at 12.3/12.4v after a few minutes.

Attachments

• Battery MF66H (1).jpg
    Battery MF66H (1).jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Battery MF66H (2).jpg
    Battery MF66H (2).jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Original AC Delco (1).jpg
    Original AC Delco (1).jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Original AC Delco (2).jpg
    Original AC Delco (2).jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 108

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
My 2016 Redline’s original battery was on its way, hard to start at times. When reviewing the battery voltage on the instrument cluster it would never really drop below 14.5/14.7v.

I have just replaced the original AC Delco with a Supercharge MF66H. Upon cold start start up, the voltage reads around 14.7v and settles at 12.3/12.4v after a few minutes.

I had a similar issue with my OE AC Delco battery.

The instrument cluster would indicate the battery voltage staying at 14.x constantly. At random, I experienced rough idle and going into limp mode. Sometimes, I also had the check engine light come on (random misfire code). All these issues seemed to go away once the car is shut down and restarted.

Took the feedback from the forum and got myself a CTEK MXS 5.0 and did a "reconditioning" of my battery. Everything seems to be back to normal for the past few weeks. The battery voltage at startup is around 14.x but it quickly settles at 12.x. All other issues have disappeared - at least for now.

Bugs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I own a VF Calais V, purchased brand new 9 years ago in June 2014, and it still has the original battery.