Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What upgrades can i do for sv6 for KW

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Clearly no idea. Current SIDI motors don't have headers - they have a single outlet port in the heads. You can do engine pipes/cats/etc but it's a waste of time on a V6.

At 210kw you've got almost as much power as an early stock LS1 - go with it. Minor mods will do #### all and turbo/forced/more will be as illegal as just driving a V8 in the first place. Save your money and buy a V8 later.

Mate If the single outlet port in the heads is designed to extract the exhaust gasses then functionally it is the same thing. Whether there is one, six or eight it's still largely the same thing is it not?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Mate If the single outlet port in the heads is designed to extract the exhaust gasses then functionally it is the same thing. Whether there is one, six or eight it's still largely the same thing is it not?

In the context of "upgrading the headers" it is FAR from the same thing.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Elaborate to educate me please?

I thought it would be fairly obvious. Having the headers integrated into the head means it's impossible to "upgrade the headers" or replace them with a more efficient scavenging design. The head effectively has an un-upgradeable log collector built into it. So "upgrading the headers" is impossible in direct contravention of your suggestion that upgrades should include "headers" as such a thing does not exist on a current SIDI motor.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
As above, SIDI engines have no upgrade as per headers. They're one huge ported pipe to the cats. You couldn't get any more air flow through them regardless.

As per above also, OTR, exhaust + a MAFless tune is possible it hits 200RWKW on LFX SV6 engines (2013+ models) in a manual anyway.

Torque is another thing though...

EDIT: I believe you'd be happy with just an OTR, exhaust + tune on this. Just these mods will outdo an ecotec with a cam/rockets/3.9's etc.. I'd keep it looking good for now.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought it would be fairly obvious. Having the headers integrated into the head means it's impossible to "upgrade the headers" or replace them with a more efficient scavenging design. The head effectively has an un-upgradeable log collector built into it. So "upgrading the headers" is impossible in direct contravention of your suggestion that upgrades should include "headers" as such a thing does not exist on a current SIDI motor.

Fair enough, no need to keep reiterating that I was incorrect, that's been established. I did not know that about the SIDI engine! Thanks for sharing.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Fair enough, no need to keep reiterating that I was incorrect, that's been established. I did not know that about the SIDI engine! Thanks for sharing.

No worries. I probably came off a bit harsh and that's my bad but there are so many people out there spouting crap it's not funny. It's late VE and all VF V6's that get the integrated collector.

vfsv6storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY14 VF SV6 STORM
hi guy's new to the page, i have a manual vf sv6 storm. im also looking into just mild mods as these go well for what they are anyway. i went and had her on the dyno at a mates shop, all i have done is, put an x-force system and a replacement K&N filter. running e-flex fuel, after the runs the boys were saying its got a fair bit in it still as she was running abit rich, 191.4rwkw pretty happy with that, now for e85 and a tune, im also thinking of looking at an otr, anyone know of any good deals?. and would it be worth it?

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo191/gemtech01/IMG_20150122_0002_zpsf2c2ce15.jpg

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
All this kw talk is silly, every dyno will tell you something different as they're just a tuning tool. Take it to the track, MPH won't lie. Far too many 6 cyl owners aiming for the "magical" 200rwkw number, as if that means anything. 200kw on one dyno one day, 170kw on a different dyno the next. You guys should be aiming for a car that's nice to drive, not some number to stick on your wall.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
All this kw talk is silly, every dyno will tell you something different as they're just a tuning tool. Take it to the track, MPH won't lie. Far too many 6 cyl owners aiming for the "magical" 200rwkw number, as if that means anything. 200kw on one dyno one day, 170kw on a different dyno the next. You guys should be aiming for a car that's nice to drive, not some number to stick on your wall.

yeah dyno faires give me the proverbial. Take it out to at least a dragstrip and look at some trap speeds and times.