Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what wax to use

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Ive always wondered... I wash my car then chamois then go over the whole car with Mothers Quick Detailer. Does this add layers of wax or do SFA?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I have already applied wax to my car ever 3 - 4 months So I need to apply a cleaner properly??? Not sure I really want to let prepsol anywhere near my car if I can help it :)

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Reaper

I just presoled my car, no issues whatsoever. Also just applied a first layer of Wolfs Body Wrap… man that stuff takes it to the next level. Really impressed. I'm going to do a second coat in the morning and maaaaybe a 3rd quick hit just to make sure I've covered the whole car. Then wax is going on Wednesday evening to finish it off.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I have already applied wax to my car ever 3 - 4 months So I need to apply a cleaner properly??? Not sure I really want to let prepsol anywhere near my car if I can help it :)

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Reaper

No problems. Yep, you'll need to remove the wax to apply the sealant. Prepsol is fine to be used on cleared paint. Won't hurt it at all. Or you can mix IPA 1:1 with demineralised water.

Ive always wondered... I wash my car then chamois then go over the whole car with Mothers Quick Detailer. Does this add layers of wax or do SFA?

Is it this one? http://www.mothers.com/02_products/08224.html

Doesn't add anything in the way of protection but it will amp the gloss up - you could try a spray wax instead every couple of washes if you want to add a layer of protection. You can spray some of them onto the paint while it's still wet so they work as you dry the car. QDs are handy to have on hand though. I use them all the time.

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yeah thats the one, definately amplifies the shine hence me wondering if it acted as a wax.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Not really, no. It will pretty much be removed by the next wash.

It is good to follow up a wash with a QD or spray wax though, as it will help minimise any mineral deposits drying on the paint from the water. Plus the effect that a lot of them give is a bonus. Try using a spray wax every second or third wash and keep the QD for in-between times. Both take about as long to use as each other, so it's not really an issue to pick up the other bottle. The spray wax will add a sort of sacrificial layer on top of your base sealant or wax to help it last longer.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I tend to leave the QD for touch ups between washes. I love the wet waxes as they are easy to use and you don't need to buff for hours which drills my arms. I end up with dead arms the next day lol.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI

Like tinsnips has stated, most manufacturers make a sealent or a good wax and then offer a cheaper "top up spray" (Quick Detailer) which is said to help prolong the original sealent or wax you applied earlier. It isn't a full wax but just a light "top up" that makes the paint look great but doesn't last long.

What i do is clay bar paint, apply a filler polish (Amigo Paint Cleaner) then apply a good quality spray wax (Optimum Car Wax) and maintain the wax by using a detail spray (Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer). I also use high quality microfibre cloths and application pads.

I repeat every 5 - 6 months and claybar again if neccessary.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
So how often should you use a claybar?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Basically whenever the paint starts to feel rough. Once or twice a year should be fine for a garaged car - maybe a little more regularly for one kept outside.

If you run the back of your hand over the paint after you've washed and dried it and you can feel grit or the paint grabs your skin, it's time to clay.

This came off the lower half of the driver's door of a car I did not too long ago - you can imagine how the rest of it was - and that is after removing the tar.

299980_146123415481274_100002508498130_231551_1128862204_n.jpg

Needless to say, that bit went in the bin - along with a couple of others

As an aside - you shouldn't let your clay bar get that dirty before kneading it - the amount of crap on that panel took me a little by surprise. I knew it was bad - but that's bad.