Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would you do..?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
To be honest i just ripped it off put the spacer in and put it back togehter.
Which i regret now. I should have cleaned the intake manifold and plenum at the time..

What needs to be done to the injectors exactly?

Oh wow you didn't clean anything? Definitely clean your throttlebody & plenum while it's all of mate! No wonder you didn't notice much.

Injectors you have to take somewhere, they'll flow test them, fit new baskets, seals, orings, etc.

When I put my spacers in one of the orings started leaking... so I just recoed them all - good life choice.

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
"Just FYI, when I got my cam in (comp cam stage 2) with 3.7's diff, it lost alot of bottom end, but soon as you hit about 2500rpm it's like you hitting the throttle down again but you're not if you understand what I mean. Kicks in pretty well."

So what cam is there that increases torque from idle ?

MACE

Reaction score
"Just FYI, when I got my cam in (comp cam stage 2) with 3.7's diff, it lost alot of bottom end, but soon as you hit about 2500rpm it's like you hitting the throttle down again but you're not if you understand what I mean. Kicks in pretty well."

A cam with a larger LSA then the factory item, would likely do the trick :)

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore

You have the wong setup, i had a crow stage 2 and it pulled from the word go
I now have a custom duration cam wich is the next stage up from that and I have plenty of bottom end and plenty of top end, i run 3:9 diff gears in a T5

MACE

Reaction score
Most cam manufacturers specify a power band with their cam specs as most people wouldn't understand exactly what all those numbers mean, but to compare and explain.

The MACE Comp Cams stage 2 cam specs are 216*/216* on a 111 LSA with .507" valve lift
The Crow stage 2 cam specs are 201*/206* on 113 LSA with .440" valve lift

As can be seen above, the Comp Cams stage 2 cam has more duration and a smaller Lobe Separation Angle (LSA), what this means is that there is more overlap (when the intake valve starts to open and the exhaust valve hasn't closed yet). This results in some loss of cylinder pressure at low engine speeds and requires more rpm before the engine starts to make good power (as experienced above when the engine seems to kick in at about 2500rpm, bumping up the compression ratio would help get back some of the low rpm power loss and improve the gains through the rest of the rev range).

The standard V6 cam has even less duration and larger LSA then the Crow cam above which means the engine will start to produce good power at lower revs but also nose over sooner. If you want a cam to produce good low RPM power then choose one with a small duration lobe and wide LSA, you can also go for a slightly larger duration lobe but you would want to increase the LSA as well so the overlap doesn't increase.
there are many factors in choosing a cam, ideally you would spec your cam to suit all the other engine specifications, rpm, head flow

The other important thing to consider when choosing a cam is the compression ratio, a big cam with a low compression ratio will be a pig and will need more revs before it starts to make power where as a smaller cam will behave much better and won't need as many revs before it starts to make power.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
Bart