Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would you do?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think the situation dictates a lot how people act or react. Middle of no-where in the bewitching hour I'm less likely to try and render assistance then the other example given (the marathon).

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Seen Wolf Creek?

Yep. Loved it.

Incidentally, someone mentioned earlier the possibility that the driver was away doing something (illegal) and could have returned to the car at any moment.

If I was up to no good out in the boonies, I sure as hell wouldn't just pull up, hop out and leave the car sitting in the middle of the road with lights on and engine running. I reckon I'd do everything possible to hide the car from view while I went about my (dirty) business.

Last edited:

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
i wouldn't have even rang the ambo, i'd just keep on driving. Too many ####in idiots around these days to try and help, wouldn't wanna be bashed or killed for doing the right thing.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Aren't you liable to prosecution if you are first aid trained but didn't render assistance? I was under the impression that if you hold a senior first aid certificate and you don't render assistance, you can be charged with failing to assist or something?

No, there is no legal obligation to render any assistance.

In relation to your duty of care, there is no legal obligation for first aiders to provide first aid in a general public context. However, first aid officers in workplaces and school teachers have a duty of care.

Once a first aider begins to provide first aid, a duty of care is established and the first aider then has a legal obligation to fulfil the duty of care. If a road user is involved in an accident, there is a legal requirement to stay at the scene, assist the injured and report the incident to the police.

Not fulfilling a duty of care leaves the first aider open to questions of negligence.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No, there is no legal obligation to render any assistance.

In relation to your duty of care, there is no legal obligation for first aiders to provide first aid in a general public context. However, first aid officers in workplaces and school teachers have a duty of care.

Once a first aider begins to provide first aid, a duty of care is established and the first aider then has a legal obligation to fulfil the duty of care. If a road user is involved in an accident, there is a legal requirement to stay at the scene, assist the injured and report the incident to the police.

Not fulfilling a duty of care leaves the first aider open to questions of negligence.

Do you have a reference for that information?? (just interested in the whole text)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Do you have a reference for that information?? (just interested in the whole text)

That is the whole text from Red Cross Australia.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Yep. Loved it.

Incidentally, someone mentioned earlier the possibility that the driver was away doing something (illegal) and could have returned to the car at any moment.

If I was up to no good out in the boonies, I sure as hell wouldn't just pull up, hop out and leave the car sitting in the middle of the road with lights on and engine running. I reckon I'd do everything possible to hide the car from view while I went about my (dirty) business.

I'm not having a go at you but the problem with that statement is that you are looking at this from a logical point of view, you may sure as hell not just pull up and leave your lights on and engine running but most sickos aren't thinking logically at the time they commit an offence. Most of the time when someone is jacked up on drugs also they aren't thinking straight, we all see unbelievable acts on the news that we think how stupid of them.

I've had a few conversations with people in my time that can't think logically and it's pretty scary how their minds work. I don't believe you were wrong in your actions but I do believe there was a slight chance you could have found yourself in a very dangerous position and one that you may not have been able to control, in saying that you have to ask yourself if you were unlucky enough to find yourself like that then would it have been worth it not only to yourself but those close to you? There was a case last year in a SA country town where a girl driving along came across a ute on the side of the road and went to render assistance only to be killed by the guy that was trying to kill his girlfriend in the ute, I'm sure most of you guys would have heard about it.

The safest way to deal with an situation that has many unknowns is to treat it in the worst case scenario you can think of, most of the time you will be overreacting but at least you will be sure your safe.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm not having a go at you but the problem with that statement is that you are looking at this from a logical point of view, you may sure as hell not just pull up and leave your lights on and engine running but most sickos aren't thinking logically at the time they commit an offence. Most of the time when someone is jacked up on drugs also they aren't thinking straight, we all see unbelievable acts on the news that we think how stupid of them.

I've had a few conversations with people in my time that can't think logically and it's pretty scary how their minds work. I don't believe you were wrong in your actions but I do believe there was a slight chance you could have found yourself in a very dangerous position and one that you may not have been able to control, in saying that you have to ask yourself if you were unlucky enough to find yourself like that then would it have been worth it not only to yourself but those close to you? There was a case last year in a SA country town where a girl driving along came across a ute on the side of the road and went to render assistance only to be killed by the guy that was trying to kill his girlfriend in the ute, I'm sure most of you guys would have heard about it.

The safest way to deal with an situation that has many unknowns is to treat it in the worst case scenario you can think of, most of the time you will be overreacting but at least you will be sure your safe.

To know how to react in sitations like this is something each of us can only surmise about until (if) it happens to us, unless we are specifically trained for it such as police are.

Yes, my reasoning is based on logic, but I am an extremely logical thinker by nature (which pisses the other half off, no end). Because I had alread passed the ute a short time earlier, I anticipated that it might still be there and had mentally prepared a course of action to take if it was. It was an unusual situation and I appreciated the potential danger, but, to me, the most obvious thing to do was seek professional assistance, secure the site against potential traffic hazards and try to notify my workmate what was going on. I failed on the third issue thanks to Virgin that night. Just driving past and doing nothing was never an option.

This might seem odd to some people but I believe the manner in which we deal with situations like this is the measure of the sort of person we are.