Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats better? Ecotec or Alloytec V6????

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The missus ecotec sounded awesome for a while unfortunately the sound was due the the pipe going into the muffler been cracked about 80% of the circumference :( excellent rasp and cacle though until it got welded up

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Hey guys... lets not get off topic here huh.

Eco V's Alloy please...

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Also take in to account that the Alloytec engines have been having problems with stretching timing chains and it is an expensive job to fix if it happens to you. Ecotec 1 Alloytec 0 haha.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Just tossing up getting a VY V6 wagon... but cant really decide if paying the extra money for a VZ to get the alloytech engine is worth the $$$$

Is the alloytec wayyyyyy better than the Eco?

Does less things go wrong with it?

Do they have heaps more power and burn 1/2 the gas...?

Whats easier to mod?, and which one gets the more HP out of the same mods?

:blah blah::blah blah::blah blah::blah blah::blah blah::blah blah:

Any thoughts welcomed.
Hope I havent opened up an ECO vs ALLOY fight on here now...LOL:boxing:

No the Alloytec is not way better than the Ecotec.
I would not say less things go wrong with the Alloytec's than the Ecotec's, it comes down to how often it get serviced and how it's driven.
The Ecotec would be easier to mod in a way, as there is much more modding options around for them.

I personally think the VY will do everything you need it to do, especially if you want to mod it later on.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
But if you plan on leaving the car STOCK, (no engine mods) which is better?

I personally would still go Ecotec. Like I said, if the timing chain stuffs up, it's expensive to get fixed.

Even ask "Z3RO" (member of this forum), his Alloytec timing chain stretched and jumped teeth and wouldn't start. Got it towed to Holden and they found dropped valves as well, so the heads would have had to come off. I think he said they quoted him $5000+ but he ended up fitting a second hand engine.

The problem affects all VZ 3.6L and the early VE's I think up to 07 or 08.

Not only that, the thermostat is a prick to get too. Give me the Ecotec anyday.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
iv had both ecotec and alloytec, first commodore was a vt with 180,xxxks and i brought it from a car yard and first week of owning the car it spun a big end! after i put a new engine in it was fine and i never had any other problems for the next 80,000ks i did in it while i had it. however it all comes down to how it was looked after previously i guess.

second commodore i brought was a vz calais with the 5 speed auto and 190 alloytec, i haven't had any problems with it so far but i haven't owned it for that long, however i fined the alloytec to go a lot better than my ecotec did, the ecotec was a little bit better on fuel over all but for how much more smother and powerful the alloytec is i wouldn't go back. plus the 5 speed auto is 100% nicer to drive than the old 4 speed, personally if you can afford to get a vz with lower ks and full service history i would go with that. but id only get the 190 hi output with the 5 speed auto or the 6 speed manual not the 175 4 speed.

the alloytec is a bit more $$$ to service but nothing that i fined more than any other newer model car.

i cant comment on the timing chain issue as mine isn't making any noise at all (touch wood) and iv also got about 4 other mates with alloytecs and they all haven't had any timing chain issues ether, so i dont think its that big of a problem if the car has been looked after, and even one of my mates cars has over 200,000ks and is still going strong.

also the alloytec seems to be easier to get more power out of with just a tune, iv managed to get 179rwkw from mine (stock is about 135rwkw) with a tune and a few other mods and it blows of my mates standard wh supercharged ecotec :D

the hardest bit is the ecotec has been around for years and the alloytec hasn't, so there will always be alot more people on hear saying how much better the ecotec is, and alot probably haven't even owned both. id just recommend you take both for a drive and see what you like better. iv had both like i said and i wouldn't go back if i had my choice

thats just my opinion anyway, hope it helps mate

cheers scott

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if you are looking at making some decent power mods, I'd go with the Ecotec. There's a lot of serious gear out there for these engines, particularly in the US. And they certainly are making some very impressive numbers with them. The Alloytec might have really good potential, but as opposed to the Ecotec & Buick, there seems to be very little aftermarket performance support for them.

But if you haven't got big modification plans, then the Alloytecs are a much more refined engine from my experience with them. I can't speak for the timing chain issues etc because all the Alloytecs I've driven have less than 100,000kms on them. But we've had a couple of SV6 Commodore utes at work, that we travel big distances out west and the engines feel so much smoother than the ecotec and pull very well mid to high rpm in particular. And so far we haven't had any reliability issues, which is more than I can say about the Colorados we also drive...

VEEZED99

veezed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz storm 3.6 ltr
i have a 175kw alloytech with 2 1/2 inch cat back, port n polish throttle body, cpr6 intake manifold, growler ss induction, and a dyno tune and it makes 169 rw/kw so its not bad for a 6 and i rekon it is the best sounding alloytech ive heard, it has a real nice roar when under load but i would still say an echotech sounds alot better. but i was one of those p platers with my head up my behind but thats in the past and my alloytech left most echotech's when it was stock.