Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats better? Ecotec or Alloytec V6????

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stay away from the base model alloytec/sidi engines. my missus drove a VE omega a while back and was not impressed, said it was slower then here VS ecotec and it needed lots of revs to get it going.

The later models which have the 5 and 6 speed transmissions make a huge difference to how a car handles. Put a 4l60e behind a alloytec and it would be a slug

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Put a 4l60e behind a alloytec and it would be a slug

My Omega has this configuration, it's not slow - but it's not fast either. It's got the same problem every Commodore since the VT has had. Too heavy for the V6/4 speed. The ratios are very big for a car these days, I can clear 65kph in first and at 100 - 2nd still has some leg left.

4-Speed just feels abit... old fashioned? To be honest, my VE feels very similar to my old VT Exec to drive as far as the engine/box goes. Only difference is the lower end torque in the Alloytec is noticable.

jacoada1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
My boss purchased a 2006 VZ Berlina with the Alloytec and in his opinion, the Ecotec has more power. Also in his own words "it feels more gutless then the Ecotec".

I myself would have to go with Ecotec as well because I have found them easier and cheaper to work on.

You are correct in part, The alloyec has more power, but it doesnt hit peak power until about
6500rpm, where is the ecotec reaches its peak alot lower, and hence pulls away quicker as
its torque curve is alot steeper. I got Powerchip to do a tune on my car, and now it destroys
any ecotec with ease from the lights.

So if you want power and a smooth running newer engine, go alloyec
(i would deff recommend getting a tune from powerchip)

If you want an easy engine to work on, (and want to charge it cheap)
go ecotec

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The Ecotech is the old boy and is a more "polished and perfected" power plant. You know what you're getting.
The Alloytec is the new kid, it's more efficient, has longer service intervals (apparently) but has some issues such as timing chain stretch. Earlier models like the VZ are a bit of a question mark.

Last_Warrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
98/99 VT Ecotec 3.8 V6 automatic Green
My family has the 2 models, my car is VT Commodore 1998/1999 with Ecotec 3.8 auto 200hp and my mother´s VE Commodore 2011/2011 SIDI 3.6 Alloytec 292hp.

I like both, the Alloytec runs more silent and has a bit lower consumption. But the ride is some like "stupid" and don´t "understand" when you ride slow or fast.
In other hand, the 3.8 ride more nicely, it seems that the programmation of the PCM "understands" better the way you ride at moment. It responds just I expect when I ride very slow or very fast. I can´t explain...

The ecotec 3.8 is fantastic, it´s an "jurassic" motor with a modern injection system, and the secret of VT in my opinion is the perfect perfect marriage of the 3.8 litre V6 with the relations of the 4L60E trans.

But I like them both! Just ride both and choose what seems better to you.

Stevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Executive Wagon
cant say im enjoying the ride in my 06 VZ wagon, its a bit "incoherent" on the throttle. It sticks to speed limits well but doesnt seem to respond well via the foot unless you really put it down. So to me its sluggish low down. Highway driving its perfection on four wheels, effortless driving at 110 - 120, wants to go beyond that as well.

Is there a way to get the vz 175 alloy tek tuned for a bit more low end throttle response without stuffing up the top end rev range?

I had a vn with a buick v6 for about 4 years, was a good engine, plenty of leaks and overheating though, probably my fault as a young driver.
God bless the kickdown cable!!

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
cant say im enjoying the ride in my 06 VZ wagon, its a bit "incoherent" on the throttle. It sticks to speed limits well but doesnt seem to respond well via the foot unless you really put it down. So to me its sluggish low down. Highway driving its perfection on four wheels, effortless driving at 110 - 120, wants to go beyond that as well.

Is there a way to get the vz 175 alloy tek tuned for a bit more low end throttle response without stuffing up the top end rev range?

I had a vn ecotech for about 4 years, was a good engine, plenty of leaks and overheating though, probably my fault as a young driver.
God bless the kickdown cable!!

VN's didn't come with an Ecotec.

Stevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Executive Wagon
my bad, meant to say buick v6. Edited post. I havent owned a commodore in over 15 years. Been driving 4 cylinder crap.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
When shopping for a second car I choose the vy solely on having an ecotec.