Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the go with VE handbrakes?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Actually my OP was because I'd read VE handbrakes were rubbish, so I thought it was a common problem. I didn't mean to post three pages in two hours. I was expecting to hear other people saying the same thing and explain the reason why so. If I had known there was an actual fix to it I would have probably not created the thread, hahaha. Cause I ain't trying to do them myself again.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There is a road I sometimes need to take It's called Balfour St. Every year there is a running race up the road. They call it the Balfour Burn, and they don't call it that for no reason. The other road I take if I have to visit another site in David St. It's a mongrel as it's steep, with a roundabout at the top and 1000s of cars use those two intersecting roads everyday. David St is where I have my six or more steep hill starts, unless I piss of the traffic behind me and allow a big gap, and try to crawl up and hope when I make it to the top hope that I am the first car waiting at the roundabout, or it's pull that lever like a bastard and hope the car behind doesn't sit too close like they frequently d
How's this for homework??

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_233014.jpg
    IMG_20231104_233014.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 58

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I know the VE has a common issue of the outer cable lock snapping at the hub, which causes really bad handbrake. But pretty sure mine is ok, as I've had one snap and the lever went a mile up and still didn't hold. I do use my HB a lot probably pulling it up, up to nine or more times a day depending on where I roads I need to take. Some roads I pull it on hard four-five times on the one hill.
Well there you go then, if it’s copping a hammering it’s going to stretch/wear out a lot quicker. I haven’t had to adjust the handbrake in my SSV since I bought it an early 2020 but my handbrake is generally only used twice per day, once when I get to work and once when I get back home.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
They are fairly easy to replace, and yes, can be a PITA if you try and rush it.
Just have to manipulate the the shoe in into the correct position and they slide into place on the top clip,
and then down onto the hand brake control unit.

Firstly, back off the hand brake cable under the console,

When I have replace the rear rotors on my VE, I have removed the shoes, and cleaned every thing down, (clean the backing plate also),
then apply a thin film of grease to the backing plate when the HB shoe rests against,
Clean the adjustment unit, and apply a dab of grease to the threads
then slide the HB shoe on, making sure its sitting behind the top clip, "otherwise it will rattle on every little bump on the road" and annoy the shite of you
Adjust the adjustment accordingly on both sides,
the then adjust the cable at the console. to say 6 clicks (thats when the hand brake is on solid)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have long hated doing handbrake adjustments on any car I have had. I am mentally challenged by the process. I just stuff it up everytime.

When adjusting the shoes, what is sufficient drag? Like if I adjust it so they don’t drag, the handbrake won’t grab. If I adjust it with some drag, it’s too much but the hand brake grabs.

What’s the gag?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Never needed to adjust the handbrake on my VE's, just checked the adjustment during rear rotor replacement.

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Even doing hill starts shouldn't put a huge amount of wear and tear on the hand brake unless Hercules is yanking up the hand brake leaver and stretching the cables. You should be using the foot brake to bring the car to a stop on a hill and apply the hand brake only once stopped and getting ready to take off again.

Worst thing to do would be to set the hand brake to tight initially so it drags a little, that will wear **** out and increase your fuel consumption.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just tightened up the cables again. That will see me through until February. If I find some enthusiasm next time it goes on the hoist I will back off the torx bolt and adjust the shoes again as well.