Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's this noise? Lifter tick?

BenzemaSSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Commodore VE SS Series II
Hi there, been a while since you posted but interested to see how you went with all of this? I have a VE SS S2 with the L77, been getting a ticking noise at idle and with acceleration, usually till about 2000 rpm and engine take over from there. I thought it was injectors, which I have replaced, noise still there. Using a large screwdriver to listen around the block its a loud tick all along the fuel rail, purge valve (replaced too). Kinda stumped at this stage, any help much appreciated
FIXED! Ended up just being a hole-y gasket in the exhaust leaking. I still get some injector tick but it's not nearly as noticeable now. Car purrs now.
Stay Corona safe, good luck guys!

Al dirte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv uterus & Vl executive
ive got a similar issue in my ve ssv - l98. SHOULD have new lifters in it only 20,000km old( done with cam)

The tick is there throughout rev range more audible inside car down low or up high when backed off the accelerator. its audible outside the car as well, down low, on idle its clear by the wheels. when driving around slowly you can hear the noise bouncing off any object you pass, up high off the accelator it makes a nasty loud agressive tap. last week had a horrible knock from what i thought was my rods ( more leaning on it being my air con tensioner being fingered as it spat that on start up and the knock when away but was in rhythm with tensioner movement and it went away after a turn of start up) im taking it back to the work shop thats done all the work on it tomorrow and will update to help anyone else with the noise that keeps you up at night.

07 ssv ute
street fighter 228/228 .5 @114
1 7/8 pacemaker triys 100cell with custom 3inch
otr KPM tune. mellings highflow.

BenzemaSSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
ive got a similar issue in my ve ssv - l98. SHOULD have new lifters in it only 20,000km old( done with cam)

The tick is there throughout rev range more audible inside car down low or up high when backed off the accelerator. its audible outside the car as well, down low, on idle its clear by the wheels. when driving around slowly you can hear the noise bouncing off any object you pass, up high off the accelator it makes a nasty loud agressive tap. last week had a horrible knock from what i thought was my rods ( more leaning on it being my air con tensioner being fingered as it spat that on start up and the knock when away but was in rhythm with tensioner movement and it went away after a turn of start up) im taking it back to the work shop thats done all the work on it tomorrow and will update to help anyone else with the noise that keeps you up at night.

07 ssv ute
street fighter 228/228 .5 @114
1 7/8 pacemaker triys 100cell with custom 3inch
otr KPM tune. mellings highflow.
Hey does is sound similar to this?

Al dirte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey does is sound similar to this?
i can definiteltly hear the tap in yours, but ours are a little different mine probably started out like that. and please dont rag on my bay haha its filthy

BenzemaSSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
i can definiteltly hear the tap in yours, but ours are a little different mine probably started out like that. and please dont rag on my bay haha its filthy
haha its the SS struggle, my issue I hear more inside the cabin, so it might be an exhaust leak or something carrying in, the tick you hear is injectors which hasnt been an issue, Think will need to pull the headers off and check the gaskets first

Al dirte

Reaction score
Members Ride
haha its the SS struggle, my issue I hear more inside the cabin, so it might be an exhaust leak or something carrying in, the tick you hear is injectors which hasnt been an issue, Think will need to pull the headers off and check the gaskets first

i can hear it underneath your distinct injections bud dont worry your not going mad. i only used to be able to hear mine inside the cab too till about 2 months ago. anyways ill let you know how it goes for me tomorrow. hopefully i wont dream of it anymore

JowlBra

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss s1
i can hear it underneath your distinct injections bud dont worry your not going mad. i only used to be able to hear mine inside the cab too till about 2 months ago. anyways ill let you know how it goes for me tomorrow. hopefully i wont dream of it anymore
hey mate i have the same issue did you find a fix