Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel decision

White VH SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VH SS 5l manual
Yer that's them 19's are as small as I goin if I can get a decent offer on the Simmons ill go that way or ill run with them 3 spare sets of mags layin around the wife would lose her s#?t

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'm with Hak. Yes too big. 16" is as big as I'd go with any generation 1 Commodore. For my money 16" Momo stars are about as good as it gets with Simmons V5 (? the criss cross ones) second.

Reaper

agree with this
although I could accept up to 17 inch on a 1st gen.
Any bigger just looks stupid.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
why oh why do they persist on putting huge wheels on their cars. as mentioned by others i wouldnt go any bigger than 16, stick with the simmons

Coz bigger is better bro. Same as cams, carbs and zorst :thumbsup:

White VH SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VH SS 5l manual
With the front brakes I puttin on it 18's are as small as I can go and ya sound like my dad

White VH SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VH SS 5l manual
Well I would but this car is goin to be used and I really won't it to stop plans are for a driver as well as a targa car at some point in future. I won't be ruining a classic

White VH SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VH SS 5l manual
And for the record monster tacho's and chev badgers are not my thing

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
out of all the wheels i've tried on mine, xhp sabres in machined finish were the only 18's that looked any good to me.
Currently i'm running smooth cast vl valkinshaw rims that have been chrome plated and the centre cap logo changed to a HDT logo.
I've had gold v5 simmons (they lasted 2 weeks before i cracked 1) and then 3 weeks after i had it repaired some bastard stole the rims and left my car on bessa blocks.

B45's Looked ok but i preferred the v5's (i wish they were in 16" not 15")

and the original VH SS wheels (i shouldn't have sold those... still have the spare in the boot with original tyre though, they look like a cheap version of simmons v5's)

For body size and shape, 16's seem to be the biggest that still give a good visual perspective, only reason why I think the sabres looked good is they're a deep dish rim and have some big flat surface area sections and didn't look big at all.

Only reason i got rid of the 18's is in the wet it had no grip, I tried heaps of different tyres and realised the 90/10 drag shocks, nolathane bushes and 18's was never going to be drivable in the rain.
All 4 wheel slide at 4-5 kays through roundabouts just trying to granny it along pissed me off so i dropped back to 16's.

If you're going to go large rims, setup your suspension accordingly

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Well I would but this car is goin to be used and I really won't it to stop plans are for a driver as well as a targa car at some point in future. I won't be ruining a classic

even more reason not to fit big hoops with licorice rubber. Hopeless when it comes to traction.

check out the tyre/wheel combo on any serious early Commodore track car. They have sidewall, for good reason.
You can still fit good sized brakes under 17's. I managed to squeeze 330mm rotors and twin piston calipers under 16's (same spec as Commodore Cup cars). Hell even V8 Supercars were fitted with 17 inch wheels right up until COTF. If you can't find good brakes to fit under 17's, then you've got the wrong driver in the car.

White VH SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VH SS 5l manual
Well I not the wrong driver for the car. And if I said I was goin 22's or bigger then I would agree to big but 19's are my limit retro look is a good look 16s were cool in the 90's sorry to disappoint guys