Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel sizing / offset advice?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Also! He needed 5mm spacers on the front to clear his brembos and 3mm spacers on the rear to fit the center caps as his hub bolt was protruding

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
I would be going a 9.5" Front +35 (Concave) so don't think I will have issues with clearing the brembos on the front like your friends 10" +35 Deep Concave.

I don't actually have Brembos on the back just yet but I do plan to add them later. I'm informed that the calipers on the SSVR rear are slightly smaller than the HSV so therefore the caliper sits more in the centre of the wheel. Essentially what this means is that even though the caliper is smaller than the HSV ones, they have less brake clearance on the rear.

This can be avoided by fitting HSV rear calipers instead of the Brembos but in any case it's not an issue as yet because they aren't on the car.

Koya assures me that the 10" rear +35 will clear the hub so not sure whats going on with your mates setup. Maybe double check the offsets? I dunno if it's just the angle of the shot but the front doesn't appear to be the same concave as the back?

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
Koya have just back to tell me that the 20 x 10" Rear +35 Deep Concave WON'T clear REAR Brembos. I suppose that is the case for your friend. 9.5 +35 (Concave) will clear front brembos and 20 x 11 +43 Deep Concave will clear Rear brembos. Going to have to go the 11" with the stretched tyre. Will sleep on it.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Stretched tires look ****. Specially on a family car.
Not sure how you will fit an 11" rim, I run 10.5" koya with a 305/40R18 drag radial and there is no room left as it rubs inside the gard closest to the diff side. I had to grind out some of the plastic just to fit it.
The following pic is a 29" tall tire on a 10.5" x 18" custom Koya rim, the inside of the tire rubs the chasiss. The lower control arm is modified. The suspension is modified.
You would be surprised how good your car will look on 18"'s and ride so sweet.
You cant have deep dish with Brembo/HSV brakes.
qmiq02.jpg

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for all the advice guys. In the end, I've decided to go with the TSW Bathurst in Silver.

Front: 20 x 9 +35 - 245/35 Pirelli Cinturato P1
Rear: 20 x 10 +35 - 275/30 Nitto Invo XL

In the end they ticked all the boxes. Silver, Staggered fitment, pretty flush, rear has a nice concave, clears brembos front and back, should be able to get the flush or slightly tucked, no stretched tyres.

Will be getting rear guards rolled by LowDown Guard Rolling. Front should clear being a Series II.

They look pretty sweet on this VF..

12990877_1287589694601779_6123831005127671995_n.jpg

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
So after much deliberation and a bit more research I opted for the Koya SF06 - Silver Machined Finish.

Front: 20 x 9 +35 (Standard) - 245/35 Pirelli P1
Rear: 20 x 10 +45 (Concave) - 275/30 Pirelli P1

I am assured BY 'KOYA' that the rear will clear Brembos.

Gavin from Low Down Guard Rolling has advised me that there is a considerable risk when rolling wagon rear guards and they are his least favourite to do. He has suggested trimming (cutting) the excess material instead as this poses little to no risk. This however doesn't give AS much clearance as rolling does but given I haven't gone super aggressive with the rear offset, I'm hoping it will be ok.

King Spring 'Super Low' Coils (Front: KHFL-150SSL | Rear: KHRL-152SLHD) and Bilstein B8 struts / shocks getting installed Monday prior to the wheels being fitted so hopefully this also helps alleviate any potential rubbing which may happen if using the standard suspension that is in it at the moment with the lowered pedders springs.

It is reported that 20 x 10 +48 will clear. Mine being +45 (+3mm), I'm confident we can get them fitted well clear with a bit of trimming. They are only 18.4mm more poke than a standard HSV Rear. Coupled with the firm suspension, should be ok. I also don't want to be running crazy camber if any at all.

I just hope the ride height is ok. Notice a lot of people mix Ultra and Super low F + R. I've gone Super Low all round.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Why don't you ask them about a +50 on the 10 inch rear and you should be able to run a 285 tyre without issues. Worth the question. All up your soon to be setup sounds awesome though.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why don't you ask them about a +50 on the 10 inch rear and you should be able to run a 285 tyre without issues. Worth the question. All up your soon to be setup sounds awesome though.

Because a +50 would not clear Rear Brembo brakes due to being a concave rim. +45 will clear with a few mm to spare and is about 3-5mm from clearing the guard so a very fine line.

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
Koya have just back to tell me that the 20 x 10" Rear +35 Deep Concave WON'T clear REAR Brembos. I suppose that is the case for your friend. 9.5 +35 (Concave) will clear front brembos and 20 x 11 +43 Deep Concave will clear Rear brembos. Going to have to go the 11" with the stretched tyre. Will sleep on it.

now you've got me worried...

i'm about to bite the bullet on a set of 20x10 +35 and 20x11 +45 Koya SF's, will contact them to see if they will clear my HSV AP's!