Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When is an engine too old to modify and need replacing?

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Hey all,

I've got a VT S2 Clubby running an LS1. It also has a 285,000 Kms! Yup she gets around.

When i bought the car the owner said he regularly home serviced it and it was taken care of. From looking at how other bits and bob have been installed in the car/maintained, i doubt he religiously serviced it. But heck it was very cheap so I bought the car.

Now to my questions, I want to modify the car up to and including changing the cam. I've seen in some workshop websites that they don't recommend changing cams on cars with over 200,000 kms? Is this correct? What are your thoughts? Can I modify my engine or just drive it till she dies in the @ss, replace the engine and then start the engine work on the 'replacement' engine? Do engines technically have a 'life span' and is it cheaper to rebuild the engine or install a second hand engine?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you'd be open to replacing the engine in the future, you could just remove the cam/lifters/rockers etc from your current engine and install them in the replacement engine. I can't see any reason not to replace the cam in an older engine anyway.

It's much cheaper and easier to buy a second hand runner and put it in. Rebuilding an engine can cost anywhere from $3000 and upwards depending on who does the rebuild and what's involved.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
280,000ks is significant and nearing if not exceeding a majority of the components service life. If you already have concerns it wasn't serviced properly, I personally wouldn't go spending a few grand chucking a different cam in only to have your lifters or other valvetrain parts fail.

If you are already considering replacing the donk, you'd probably be better off to shell out for a decent low k LS1 crate which you can pickup for between $500 and $3000 depending on condition. Then while it's out of the car change the bits you want, refit and retune and she'll be sweet :spot on:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Just get the block checked and new parts put in. Will be like a new engine if all is within spec & you'll be laughing for many years to come.

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
If you'd be open to replacing the engine in the future, you could just remove the cam/lifters/rockers etc from your current engine and install them in the replacement engine. I can't see any reason not to replace the cam in an older engine anyway.

It's much cheaper and easier to buy a second hand runner and put it in. Rebuilding an engine can cost anywhere from $3000 and upwards depending on who does the rebuild and what's involved.

Let's say i wanted to install a stroker kit, this step would be considered as part of an engine rebuild right? ie you install a stroker kit when you rebuild an engine? I've seen 383 stroker kits for about $5.5k (refer link below). Would i need anything else that's not part of the stroker kit in the engine rebuild? I'm trying to work out the rough cost of a stroker/rebuild. Any idea how much a stroker rebuild would cost? i'd have no idea who to call to get a quote. The well known 'performance' workshops out there seem like they'd charge a fortune to have the work done.

383 Lunati LS1 Stroker KIT SK383 LS1 Lunati Lunati | eBay

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
To stroke it, you'll need to have it fully rebuilt since the rotating assembly is completely different. In addition to the cost of the kit, you'll need to factor in machining which usually starts at $400 (if you shop around) for a bore and hone and typically goes upwards from there. You'll also need to have the block decked to zero deck height and have it all balanced which would probably be at least another $500-600.

Then of course, you'll need to purchase a cam, lifters and timing kit which gets expensive very quickly as I'm sure you've read. To go with a cam, you'll need to add a high stall converter and a tune.

It's hard to say how much it's all going to cost, depending on what parts you buy and what kind of performance you want. Not to mention who does the machine work and whether or not you assemble it all yourself. IMO, for more power and a bit more fun you're better off just putting a cam in your old engine and getting it tuned to suit. If anything goes wrong, as I mentioned above, just put the cam from your old engine into your replacement engine and you're good to go again.

You'll easily end up spending twice the value of the car just on the engine alone if you want to stroke it, which in my opinion just isn't worth it unless you'll be drag racing it often etc.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Let's say i wanted to install a stroker kit, this step would be considered as part of an engine rebuild right? ie you install a stroker kit when you rebuild an engine? I've seen 383 stroker kits for about $5.5k (refer link below). Would i need anything else that's not part of the stroker kit in the engine rebuild? I'm trying to work out the rough cost of a stroker/rebuild. Any idea how much a stroker rebuild would cost? i'd have no idea who to call to get a quote. The well known 'performance' workshops out there seem like they'd charge a fortune to have the work done.

383 Lunati LS1 Stroker KIT SK383 LS1 Lunati Lunati | eBay

I was talking to the guy who owns Tuff Torque, just yesterday through Facebook. He quoted me $6400 for a LS1 383 short block (I believe this was not a boost friendly kit) but for this is not bad at all. This was using the other stroker kit that he has up on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191562412055 & he was going to supply a LS1 block in that price. Is pretty good value from what I could see.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
In my personal opinion I would spend the money and rebuild the original engine for the vehicle. For the price of a rebuild go the extrs bit of coin and stroke it. You can have a good head cam and stoner package for $10k

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Cough LSA conversion :idea: cough.