Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which alternator

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
Depends on what you are trying to achieve. On a stock motor/car a stock alternator works fine. I believe the VS might have had a slightly larger amperage alternator than the VR and VT larger again. There are also police spec alternators with increased output available sometimes.
I think the Stato needs 110 Amp because of the luxo options like power seats.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the Stato needs 110 Amp because of the luxo options like power seats.
I had the 85a on my old ute and my amp at full volume drawed over 30a, plus I had 55w HIDS and the alt kept up no problem. Don't know that a Stato really needs 110a.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I use/used the Bosch 120amp (BXH1250) alternators in my VS cars. Needs a slightly longer belt, and you need to cut the rear mounting lug off the alternator to fit, but it works a dream and plenty of capacity for large sound systems.

1637390767676.png

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
only v8 cop cars got larger alternator to run extra gear fitted for duties...all other v8 models got 85a still had clutchfans.

v6 models had thermofans hence larger alternator so too vt 304 first v8 model to get thermofans...120a needed for current draw of those suckers.

You've either got some issue to sort or junk alternator or brand if it can't keep up on stock car...lots of fake brands & rubbish sold nowadays