Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Brand 5 Litre O2 Sensor ?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Thanks Immortality.

Mine is 2 wire and all those Delphi ones as 4 wire. Be buggered if I can find any 2 wire Delphi or Bosch on eBay so order placed with Summit.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to arrive.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thanks Immortality.

Mine is 2 wire and all those Delphi ones as 4 wire. Be buggered if I can find any 2 wire Delphi or Bosch on eBay so order placed with Summit.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to arrive.

I usually order on a Monday (we have had an extra day's trading by COB Monday, so exchange rate trends slightly in our favor - always) and it arrives the Wednesday/Thursday of the next week. With almost clockwork accuracy.

I found that 2-3 extra inches of wiring would be helpful during install, but the length supplied is perfect once everything is in it's place correctly.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It arrived today. 12 days (8 business) which isn't too bad, esp given the weather they had over there last week which probably slowed it down somewhere along the line.

Once the car cools down (still 30c here at 6pm so might take a little while) I'll pop it in.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I found that 2-3 extra inches of wiring would be helpful during install, but the length supplied is perfect once everything is in it's place correctly.

You're not bloody wrong. I'm coming up about half an inch short and be buggered if I can get it to reach. Any tricks you can share ?

Its till 26c with 73% humidity and I am sweating bullets. Old one is back in for now. Time for another beer.

phear11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L Berlina
What's the length of the cable u got on the old and new sensors

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
A bit tricky trying to measure it in the car but the old loom seems to be around 50cm. The new one is around 18 cm.

Would there be any issues if I cut and shut (solder and heat shrink) the new sensor onto the old loom ?

phear11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L Berlina
Ide probably goto the wreckers and cut the plugs off a loom and sensor and make an extension cable if u know what i mean. As some looms are a nightmare to solder. Or just buy an extension cable. I thought that site was meant to sell long cables not short ones like the ngk sensors.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah, I was talking to some guys on the weekend and extension looms came up. Just need to find one for the two wire sensor loom.....they seem to be available for everything but.

Deuce mentioned it was a bit shorter but made his work so I took the punt. Hoping he drops in with how he did it coz be fckd if I can make it reach.

I've also sent Summit a message hoping they might have a solution, although I'm not holding my breath. Unlikely they even know what a Holden 5 litre or VS Commodore are lol.

phear11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L Berlina
I have seen them on ebay on occasion. Try giving a couple of shops a call or try messaging guys that sell others on ebay and see if they can get the 2 wire ones for u if u find any let me know as i wouldn't mind getting one. Could even try an auto elec and see if they can make one up.

I have no idea how he did either as mine would need minimum 40 odd cm to reach my extractors.

Be nice if they can help somehow

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
You could consider running a 4 wire heated sensor if you have changed to extractors and this has moved the sensor further from the engine. The heated sensor will stay at operating temp better than a 2 wire sensor eg, while idling at the lights, and it will also last significantly longer. O2 sensors need to be at 600 degrees F plus to operate and ideally should be at 900 - 1,000 degrees F. I don't understand why Holden changed back to a non heated O2 sensor for some VS models after introducing the heated sensor on the VR. I know they had some problems with the heated ones and used to cut the heater input wire as a fix but the better fix is to add some extra earth points and to keep the heater in the sensor operating.
I think this connector may be right for a 2 wire in a VS. NEW Connector SET FOR Holden Statesman VQ VR VS WH 5 0L 3 8L Oxygen Sensor O2 | eBay
Can you free up some wiring in the car's loom by removing tape/protector and re-routing the wiring? Alternatively the same seller also has extension connectors for a variety of sensors. Don't cut and solder the wiring in the sensor harness because it can affect the operation of the sensor. It is OK to cut and solder extra onto the car's wiring loom.