Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which fuel to use?...

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi guys,

I wanted to know which fuel and or additives is best for EFI 202's? Is it worth putting in Premium or Optimax, or just regular unleaded?

Thanks,
Shaun.:drink:

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
my car likes to be really slugish and stall on normal unleaded fuel.. so i run Optimax only and it goes alot better, more responsive and dosent stall :D

try it and see.. youll have to put acouple of tank fulls in to see any differents (get the normal unleaded out)

octane in a bottle - wow!

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah, I only put Optimax in my VT and it's way better than Unleaded. I'll give it a few tanks in the 202 and see how it goes.

Thanks DenchY!

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
I've used optimax before and it was great until one fill which was crap. I since found out that Optimax has a shelf life of about 1 month, so unless you fill up at a busy shell, you don't really know how old the fuel is. Vortex has a longer life and will also mean that if it is in your tank for a while, there will be no disadvantages... also I recomend the Nulon lead replacement if it hasn't had the conversion done.

Have fun with the VK dude!!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I have posted before about fuels to use, have a look int he archives for further info but in short...
As long as you run a fuel with sufficient otane for your engine you wont require a LR additive, 98 octane fuels such as Shell Optimax, BP ultimate, Mobile Synergy 8000 (I think), Vortex 98 all should meet your engines requirements.
I have stored optimax for several months before In airtight sealed drums, out of light and it was just fine, I guess what happens say in a fuel tank etc the hydrocarbos evaporate causing the octane levels to drop.
another FYI bit of info the guys on the different turbo skyline & toyota forums etc swear by the BP flavour and have dyno results to prove it, generally its a little more expensive & out of my way than optimax for where I buy fuel.

cheers
Scott

50 stevo

premium is the biggest rort this century its been proven that it makes very little difference in most cars, and no difference to many. out of the tests done bp95 was the best even better bp ultimate but if you dont believe me do a web search on insider fuel tests, youll be surprised at what you see

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Yeah I believe premium is a bit of garbage as to coming off better on your wallet and kilometres your car might do.

But I do know for a fact that octane ratings do make sense. Take my cousins performance Ford Cobra 351 replica for example. If he runs on normal unleaded, the car would ping like crazy. He needs higher octane fuel and even then it pings a bit.

You can buy octane additive in case people here didn't know! ;)

Chode

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Regular unleaded + Flashlube.

My car absolutely loves it.

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
does anybody know anything about the fuel you can buy from the "United Servo's" called "United plus" its a 95 octain (I think) with ethonol... I've been told its amazing and about 2 cents cheaper than normal unleaded...

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
Premium doesn't get you as far as normal unleaded, TT did a test a while ago and showed some amaizing results