Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which scan tool?

hduka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Can recommend Vident i400 scanner that I just acquired. Does early Commodores to 2005?, end of ecotec, when Aust. mandated all vehicles be OBD11. Just linked pcm to bcm on VT v6, very simple & quick. All that stuff is under BODY>link bcm to pcm, link keys there as well. Is able to get output voltages from eg O2 sensors or display rich/lean & also ready (up to op temp). Temp sensors voltages or temp in deg F. System a bit clunky, need to scroll up/down to desired item & then select on OK & then press F3 for reading. Window above F keys calls out next step, usually OK, to go back to items list & or push ESC key. I don't know you would get much more out of a big buck scanner but for $300 I think it's a bargain. Engine still running like crap but its told me all the sensors I've replaced are working ok, mixtures are good, long term fuel trims slightly rich @ -4% so ok, cylinder balance within 60rpm except #1 @ 90rpm (compression test & cyl leak test ok) but no knock sensor signal according to Vident. Will address that directly .

ramboy

Reaction score
Mate l had a look at key programming with the i400.
The only reference I could find in
the user manual was P18, 3.9 immobilizer and they called it
"anti theft key matching"
When the ignition switch key, ignition switch, combined instrument panel, ecu, bcm or remote control battery is replaced,
anti-theft key matching must be performed. When I got into the menu l was asked to provide a 4 digit code. This was provided by the local former Holden Dealers, at no cost.

As the duplicate key wasn't up to spec that's as far as I got.
I think that they could have gone into a lot more detail in the user manual and the menu itself to walk you through it. To people like yourself who are clued up on this stuff, it would probably be a walk in the park, but l found it to be quite difficult.
Have a look specifically at that immobilizer menu, interested to hear your opinion.
Cheers mate.
Just wondering what the password was? I have just ordered a replacement key fob and will need to program it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just wondering what the password was? I have just ordered a replacement key fob and will need to program it.
As it says, you need the set of security codes for your car. A four digit security number unique to your vehicle.

If you do not have this, the key code and radio code, you can’t perform the task.

You often need a good relationship with your Holden parts interpreter to obtain this information.

I would strongly suggest trying to obtain the build sheet from them if they are open to it. It will be an informal print out. Mine contained the unique codes for the vehicle.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Can recommend Vident i400 scanner that I just acquired. Does early Commodores to 2005?, end of ecotec, when Aust. mandated all vehicles be OBD11. Just linked pcm to bcm on VT v6, very simple & quick. All that stuff is under BODY>link bcm to pcm, link keys there as well. Is able to get output voltages from eg O2 sensors or display rich/lean & also ready (up to op temp). Temp sensors voltages or temp in deg F. System a bit clunky, need to scroll up/down to desired item & then select on OK & then press F3 for reading. Window above F keys calls out next step, usually OK, to go back to items list & or push ESC key. I don't know you would get much more out of a big buck scanner but for $300 I think it's a bargain. Engine still running like crap but its told me all the sensors I've replaced are working ok, mixtures are good, long term fuel trims slightly rich @ -4% so ok, cylinder balance within 60rpm except #1 @ 90rpm (compression test & cyl leak test ok) but no knock sensor signal according to Vident. Will address that directly .
i400 is rubbish for a VS. I submitted a bug report to Vident, got a reply "very interesting" but never heard from them again. It did work on my ex's Astra though.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
i400 is rubbish for a VS. I submitted a bug report to Vident, got a reply "very interesting" but never heard from them again. It did work on my ex's Astra though.
I thought you had programmed a new key fob for a vs with the i400au successfully?

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I thought you had programmed a new key fob for a vs with the i400au successfully?
Yes, I have done 2 keys with it. It works for BCM and engine side, but the other functions such as tranny or ABS no good.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
20220226_143202.jpg