Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which size headers? 1 5/8, 1 3/4 or 1 7/8??

shaunve

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Sportwagon
Hi guys,

Just after some quick advice from those who have experience in this area. Im looking at getting some Xforce headers and cats for my VE SS Sportwagon. They'll bolt up to my HiTech 2.5" exhaust and ill do the install at home. The tune will be done by Dave at Silverwater Automotive, who has tuned some pretty serious cars ive owned before, and ive found his work to be of the highest quality.

Anyway, im pretty sure ill stop here in regards to mods; no cams or forced induction; its just got a VCM OTR. So what size headers should i go? Im leaning towards the 1 5/8 as the car has to be drivable and this diameter is more suited to these mods. What do you experienced guys reckon? Also, will the car be ok to drive an hour and a half from Gosford area to Silverwater after ive done the install, as it'll be untuned?

Ive looked a Pacemaker and the others, but ive decided to stick with Xforce, as they're thick walled stainless, bolt up to the factory position and i can get em for $1200 with hi flow cats. Id rather buy Australian, but cant justify it atm.
Anyway, thanks for any advice,

Shaun.

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I was in this position at start of year and just bit the bullet and went the big ones, 1 7/8 size
Can't notice and power loss down low and is as easy to drive as ever pulling from low revs

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
If your not planning any other mods get some ceramic coated 1 3/4 headers, id recommend pacemaker instead of xforce ones as there alot better quality, i went the 1 7/8 i noticed a little bit of loss down low not much but gained more up top, i now have a cam and its pretty awsome all around

Cheers

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
+ 1 For Pacemaker and 1 3/4.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Don't go any smaller than 1 3/4"
I'd also go pacemaker.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
If your not planning any other mods get some ceramic coated 1 3/4 headers, id recommend pacemaker instead of xforce ones as there alot better quality, i went the 1 7/8 i noticed a little bit of loss down low not much but gained more up top, i now have a cam and its pretty awsome all around

Cheers

Pacies are the only way to go. 1 & 7/8s if you're going to cam/supercharge/turbocharge in the future. 1 & 3/4s if you plan to keep it bolt on only. 1 & 5/8s if you have no clue wtf is going on and just bought something because it was the cheapest you could find...

dredrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Berlina Sedan
Pacies are the only way to go. 1 & 7/8s if you're going to cam/supercharge/turbocharge in the future. 1 & 3/4s if you plan to keep it bolt on only. 1 & 5/8s if you have no clue wtf is going on and just bought something because it was the cheapest you could find...

Thankyou sir, your last insult just Snapped me out of purchasing the system I've been looking at with 1 5/8 headers.

shaunve

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Sportwagon
Okay, thanks for the replies. 1 3/4 seems like the general consensus then. Any reason not to go the Xforce? I mean, has anyone actually experienced them cracking or had had first hand experience with their crapness?

What about driving before the tune? Will the CEL just come on and thats it?

Thanks,

Shaun.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Thankyou sir, your last insult just Snapped me out of purchasing the system I've been looking at with 1 5/8 headers.

In all seriousness, if you're now choosing the 1 & 3/4 over the 1 & 5/8s, you're making the right choice. The 6L are a big engine and can handle big primary pipes. Go 1 & 3/4s as a minimum. I noticed in your ride section, you own a omega? Is this the car you're putting extractors on? If so, 1 & 5/8s is plenty for the 3.6L. Dont go any bigger. I was referring to the 6.0L only.

Okay, thanks for the replies. 1 3/4 seems like the general consensus then. Any reason not to go the Xforce? I mean, has anyone actually experienced them cracking or had had first hand experience with their crapness?

What about driving before the tune? Will the CEL just come on and thats it?

Thanks,

Shaun.

Xforce have shown less power than pacemakers across all primary and secondary pipe sizing. As they are roughly the same price, pacemaker (a dedicated extractor company) make a better product. Xforce will still make more power than stock, and probably be fine in the long run, they're just a lower quality design.

And yes, the CEL will come on, but other than that, you'll have no dramas driving around without a tune.