Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Tyres on Your VE?

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Not to hi jack your thread OP but mpower how do those ATR Achilles Sport II's handle in the wet?.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I went from KU31's to ATR Achilles Sport II's - cheaper and so far I'm really impressed, full set of 235 40 18's were under $500

Achilles do 3 tyres ATRs which are hard wearing, ATR 2s which are the same but a softer compound and 123s which are a semi slick.

I run ATRs on my clubsport n love them. Plenty of grip n I didn't notice any difference from potenza's to ATRs and I drive firm thru winding roads give it abit from time to time.

Had ATRs on a few cars now and even converted Dad to run ATRs on his E3 GTS

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
I've got the Achilles on and for the price they are, best tyre I've used, they are above average in every aspect. They don't have one incredible good point to them but for an all rounder they are fantastic! Wet, dry, straight, sideways, they are predictable in all situations.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Not to hi jack your thread OP but mpower how do those ATR Achilles Sport II's handle in the wet?.

not an ounce of trouble for me in the wet or dry, been so surprised and so happy with them. So surprised at that price. They are a true bargain. I've got a mate who put a set on his WRX and he's really impressed - he's used to paying at least twice the money!

symean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
+1 Foggsy! I've had Bridgestone S001's, RE002's, and RE050's on a Magna, XR6 Turbo Ute and SV6 Commodore (so quite a range in terms of handling, noise, etc) - in all cases they were replacements for whatever the car came with, and in all cases have been a huge improvement in handling with very little sacrifice to comfort. If you can get 4 for 3 then even better. Personal favourite is probably the RE002's, due to mix of cost/performance/comfort.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hey guys... Been a while since I've had to buy new tyres as I haven't really kept cars beyond their first set.

Wow you drive a V8 like an old granny - I can go through a set of tyres in a week, but my car is much more powerful than either of yours, and I use the V8 for work, and understand how to drive to its capability.
Sheesh Rajeesh, You are a wealthy savvy professional, why be concerned with whomsoever makes tyres for your old weekend car, don't sweat the petty Raj, just replace with the same type the car comes with. I believe the stock tyres are good for grannies with a stocko gutless weekender, but I suspect what you are really asking for is some more forum wank value because let's face it mate, you are obviously a poseur.
If I typically kept a car only as long as the tyres lasted, I'd get another cheap shitty car with good tyres and be done with it. More pose value is what counts, right? Or is it wanks?

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
I do know of a guy that has a set of 4 Bridgestone RE050's in 245/40/19 that have only travelled 1300kms for sale.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Wow you drive a V8 like an old granny - I can go through a set of tyres in a week, but my car is much more powerful than either of yours, and I use the V8 for work, and understand how to drive to its capability.
Sheesh Rajeesh, You are a wealthy savvy professional, why be concerned with whomsoever makes tyres for your old weekend car, don't sweat the petty Raj, just replace with the same type the car comes with. I believe the stock tyres are good for grannies with a stocko gutless weekender, but I suspect what you are really asking for is some more forum wank value because let's face it mate, you are obviously a poseur.
If I typically kept a car only as long as the tyres lasted, I'd get another cheap shitty car with good tyres and be done with it. More pose value is what counts, right? Or is it wanks?

Please do try to remember this is only his weekend car... I'm wondering the same about my Massey..... that's short for Maserati. Not Massey Ferguson for you uneducated lot.