Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which VF SS OTR CAI is best ?

Which VF SS OTR CAI is best ?

• Harrop

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Orrsom

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • VCM

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Feedback on performance difference with Rotto-Fab would be great guys. Both pre and post tune, if you had one done.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Oppps wrong thread....

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Feedback on performance difference with Rotto-Fab would be great guys. Both pre and post tune, if you had one done.

Sorry haven't done any before or after dynos as my car was road tuned. My tuner is a VCM fanboi and had no negative remarks about the Roto-fab when tuning my car. I also installed VF HSV 340 headers/cats and mid pipe with my stock mufflers.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
i have had both Harrop and VCM.

Harrop was better material, had metal clamps all around holding filter between both components.
I did find that it did not seal properly at between the two components, just below the TB. I was getting a slight bit of unfiltered air coming in between the filter and OTR body. Not sure if it was a one off moulding issue from factory?

Have VCM now.
material not as solid as Harrop.
Has plastic tabs to seal in filter between both components. Both top left and top right tabs pop out sometimes between cleaning intervals.
No leaks however to report like the Harrop.

Both seem to take about the same amount of time to service filter.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Another one here with a Roto-fab intake installed. Very happy with the build quality and serviceability of the air filter. My sound tube is plumbed in.

Any chance of pics of the install with the sound tube plumbing 3RB?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Im going roto-fab rather than OTR, but thats just me.

Seem to be very highly praised in the US.
The build quality looks great.
Both oiled and dry filters are cleanable.

Ill update more when its actually installed, only turned up this week.
Please do

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Murdoch - use a thin smear of grease between the filter and otr housing. My harrop seals perfectly.

I nearly ordered the rotofab unit and did a lot of reading on my options. The rotofab Looks great / held in high regard / filter less susseptible to debris / can replumb the sound enhancer (need to purchase additional tubing). Cost was $700 aus shipped to Perth. Plenty of information on the Chevy ss forums regarding this style airbox.

Worth noting that the rotofab ingests air from the same location as the factory airbox via a much larger mouth where I found there was little if any airflow. Remove the stock airbox and you'll see what I mean. I even went to the extent of setting up an air blower to simiulate some airflow. Kind of defeats the purpose of a Cai so I went the otr route despite downsides as monstar pointed out above as I also wanted to try a mafless tune. I Bought a obd and d/l dash command which I found the AIT's to be more favourable with the otr compared to the oem intake even with the rubber and foam bonnet seals still in tact - discussed leaving the seals in tact with Luke at harrop Perth.

Also Note how the rotofab inlet tube shifts the maf away from the radiator hose

Each to their own just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Murdoch - use a thin smear of grease between the filter and otr housing. My harrop seals perfectly.

I nearly ordered the rotofab unit and did a lot of reading on my options. The rotofab Looks great / held in high regard / filter less susseptible to debris / can replumb the sound enhancer (need to purchase additional tubing). Cost was $700 aus shipped to Perth. Plenty of information on the Chevy ss forums regarding this style airbox.

Worth noting that the rotofab ingests air from the same location as the factory airbox via a much larger mouth where I found there was little if any airflow. Remove the stock airbox and you'll see what I mean. I even went to the extent of setting up an air blower to simiulate some airflow. Kind of defeats the purpose of a Cai so I went the otr route despite downsides as monstar pointed out above as I also wanted to try a mafless tune. I Bought a obd and d/l dash command which I found the AIT's to be more favourable with the otr compared to the oem intake even with the rubber and foam bonnet seals still in tact - discussed leaving the seals in tact with Luke at harrop Perth.

Also Note how the rotofab inlet tube shifts the maf away from the radiator hose

Each to their own just my 2 cents.

Applying grease is what I ended up doing with the harrop.
I really think I may have had a dud from factory with its sealing issues.

Harrop material certainly is far superior than the vcm one that’s for sure

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Applying grease is what I ended up doing with the harrop.
I really think I may have had a dud from factory with its sealing issues.

Harrop material certainly is far superior than the vcm one that’s for sure

Should EASILY be a warranty issue then Murdoch.... Even if technically outside of warranty period, leaking ducting for a car's air intake system is simply not fit for purpose. Under Australian Consumer Law, you don't even need a warranty to cover products not fit for purpose.
It's just a phone call to get Harrop to replace the unit.