Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whistling 202

Project_HR

Budget Buster
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V6 Turbo'd Sedan, Turbo'd V6 Altered
maybe it is a happy little 202 ..... I sometimes whistle when I am happy .....

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Lol it might be happy but its driving me mad!!!!

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
One good way to find vaccuum leaks tho not recomended...
Get a bucket of water or fire extinguisher for safety.
Put some petrol in a tin and use a paint brush and dab the paint brush in the petrol and then dab it around the intake manifold and any accesories that run off the intake manifold.

If it picks up RPM then you know you have a leak in that particular area.
I cannot hense the safety in doing so, but it does work, an old mechanics trick.

If you do this just be carefull and using little on the brush at a time to reduce the possability of a fire.
Best do it when cold engine as to not spill any on a hot exhaust manifold and obviously keep it away from ignition leads.
If it doesnt pick up RPM on the intake manifold its possibly the exhaust manifold ports leaking or possibly even a cracked exhaust manifold.

Just something you could try but be carefull when doing so.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ok, today disconnected the TVS on the way to work and it didnt fix the problem, so after work drove it in the shop and had another look over everything, i found 1 loose manifold bolt, the one right at the back.... i missed it before cause it was dark and assumed that it was like the red motors i had always played with and just had a stud with no nut. Wrong! Tightened him up and drove home and so far havent heard a peep out of it, so fingers crossed!

If it still whistles i will go for your approach GenReaper. Thanks all for your advice. :D

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
If it still whistles i will go for your approach GenReaper. Thanks all for your advice. :D

ive seen a few whistling commodores of this model, pour a bucket of water over the manifold when its whistling if ya can and see if it dissapears, maybe an inlet manifold air leak as well.

yep, i was right though, ive fixed umpteen number of whistles by tightening manifolds on those comomdores and most diganosed by the bucket of water. never have i used petrol, i have heard of it, but water does similar trick, u will notice engine change as soon as water gets sucked into a small hole.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
ive seen a few whistling commodores of this model, pour a bucket of water over the manifold when its whistling if ya can and see if it dissapears, maybe an inlet manifold air leak as well.

Never got a chance to use the water trick while it was whistling as it never whistled at idle, it would only for a few seconds after you pull up and i would hop out and try to find it, by then it would be gone :(, but shes all good now!:D :spot on: