Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

White noise issues on new head unit :(

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
So I just replaced the stock H/U in my VX with a JVC one still rocking stock speakers. Once I get to around a volume of 10 I start hearing hissing/noise. It changes if I lower the EQ settings from +6 down to 0 and the same for treble.

**** head unit?
**** install?
**** stock speakers?

What can I do until I get an amp setup going?

EDIT: I realise there are lots of thread on this issue already but none seem to be in the same situation I'm in which is completely stock setup except the head unit. I'm almost temped to plug back in the stock HU and see if the issue was there too...

Last edited:

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
maybe the stock speakers cant handle the new hedeck! i doubt it though as i had stock speakers in my old vs with a new hdunit a few years back, the hdunit was 50x4 and it was ok.
have u tried to alter the balance and fade of the speakers through the hdunit??

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
I have found that there is no hiss with FM! Aka the antenna must be the ground? I hope there is a simple fix for this :(

Edit: more details...

Hiss is present when playing from USB/CD anything that has the antenna turn off and retract into the car.

Is it possible to have the antenna stay up when car is on and retract when car goes off?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...Is it possible to have the antenna stay up when car is on and retract when car goes off?
Connect the antenna turn on wire to the accessory/ignition wire (red wire at back of head unit).

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
Connect the antenna turn on wire to the accessory/ignition wire (red wire at back of head unit).

Thanks I will look into it. I want to 100% confirm it's linked to the antenna first and if so I will have a look at the grounding first before I resort to changing wires around.

Is this a common issue?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I've never heard of it before. I'd be checking the head unit ground too.

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
I dont think it's to do with the antenna. I switched over to FM and then quickly switched to F-AUX and I can still hear the noise while the antenna is up.

FM while muted = no noise.
USB = Noise playing and while muted.
F-Aux = Noise playing and while muted.

Gonna have to rip it out again later and check the harness to see where the grounds go. Might also throw the old stock unit in and see if CD playback does the same thing.

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
Would I be able to return it for an exchange since I installed it myself? Purchased from Super Cheap...

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
Checked all the wires they all go to the correct spots. Plugged in the stock unit and yes I can hear the low white noise sound in between changing tracks on CD.

This should move the cause elsewhere now? Crap speakers or poor stock speaker wires?