Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

White Smoke from Exhaust.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
For the past week i noticed a small amount of white smoke during start up but then didnt notice during my drives (I thought it was just the cold mornings) but last night when reversing a bit of white smoke started to appear. I does have a little smell of coolant, so checked and noticed the reserve was empty. Temp filled it with water in the mean time. No overheating issues (Touch wood) Temp guage sits under half as it always has.

I know most will think head gasket, and i did get chains done in the past so maybe the mechanic didnt do it right or something. So will look at taking it back to the same mechanic to see if they can do a combustion test. But reading around i notice the PCV valve can also create these symptons? Is that the piece on the engine that clicks like crazy on the passenger side of these alloytecs? Would it still have a coolant smell to it if it was the PCV valve

Last edited:

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Here is a clip after a few km drive this morning

Last edited by a moderator:

ChewieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6
Looks like condensation to me. My SV6 (2012) emits condensation for quite a while on these cold mornings.
Watch the coolant reservoir for a few days, but if it is not emitting the 'smoke' while the motor is hot, I suspect that you're OK.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
The clicking you describe comes from the Evap solenoid, nothing to do with the PCV valve which is at the back of he engine, driver side, under the heads cover I think (this is where the PCV hose comes from, and gets split into 2 hoses that go to the intake manifold).

None of those would produce white smoke anyway. Too much blow by from the PCV would produce blue smoke as this is mostly oil vapours, and the Evap system is fuel vapours.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Thanks Guys,

Mechanic thinks the same, condensation, think i was more worried because when i checked the reservoir was empty at the time. But since topping up seems to be good. I have to say though, i feel like i am the smokiest on road though when it comes to condensation. In the mornings, afternoon and night lol. When i was googling around I read a few things about PCV and White smoke so thought i bring up the question here first.

Cheers though, going to keep an eye during this week too.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Cool air passing over a warm/hot exhaust will cause the condensation

Be like pouring cold water on a pot/pan that's just come off the oven

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Thanks Guys,

Mechanic thinks the same, condensation, think i was more worried because when i checked the reservoir was empty at the time. But since topping up seems to be good. I have to say though, i feel like i am the smokiest on road though when it comes to condensation. In the mornings, afternoon and night lol. When i was googling around I read a few things about PCV and White smoke so thought i bring up the question here first.

Cheers though, going to keep an eye during this week too.

Don't follow why you checked the reservoir and how topping it up would prevent/reduce condensation from the exhaust !! Condensation from the exhaust is as a result of the hot exhaust gasses meeting the cold air or cold pipes resulting in condensation forming which is emitted from the exhaust - looks like steam.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Don't follow why you checked the reservoir and how topping it up would prevent/reduce condensation from the exhaust !! Condensation from the exhaust is as a result of the hot exhaust gasses meeting the cold air or cold pipes resulting in condensation forming which is emitted from the exhaust - looks like steam.

If you read the first post by the OP in this thread instead of trolling, you would of realised why he checked the reservoir and topped it up and how it relates to his concern over the exhaust!

1994vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Executive
just for future reference. to test if steam coming from an exhaust is coolant, cup your hands over the exhaust, then give ya hands a quick lick. if the taste is kind of sour or sweet then it will be coolant. A small amount like that wont kill you or poison you. Thats just how i do it anyway. some people spend ages trying to find what the steam is coming from, that is just a quick and definite test.

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
Sounds like steam from condensation. If it smells and feels wet, that's what it is.