Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who has the best 98 RON Fuel

Which do you use and why?

• BP

Votes: 74 62.2%
  • Mobil

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Caltex

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Shell

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • 7-Eleven

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • United

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Metro

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I disagree Immortality. Where as I haven't noticed any increase in HP or responsiveness, I definitely get better range from 95 than 91. I have tested it on four different makes of cars and the results have been the same. I have used 98 and the economy was much the same, maybe marginally better, but definitely use less fuel when putting in 95 over 91 and Caltex was the best. I have had mates in their Jeeps who said the same thing. I have had a number of people disagree over the years but the odd few have had the same results as me.
The other issue in Aust at least is the cleanliness of 95 and 98 over 91. My bro in law comes across blocked filters on 100s of cars that always use 91, where as those who use premium fuels he doesn't get the same brown sludge that he can see coming out with a air gun once they get bad enough.

I was a cynic in the past and only switch to higher octane fuels when I had an issue with pinging. BTW I'm not going with popular opinion on this. Because popular opinion says that BP 98 is the best fuel, rarda,rada. I am merely going by what I have noticed from my driving tests over tanks and tanks of fuel. I only started using Caltex when Woolworths took over most places and gave us shoppa dockets. It was by pure accident that I noticed an improvement in economy when using Caltex 95. It was after a few tanks I noticed better economy as I was having more fuel in the tank if I fuelled up with Caltex 95 or 98 and that's when I started my own tests.

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I have only used BP Ultimate once and was disappointed with it. From Canberra to Sydney on Costco 98 I averaged the very low 8 l /100km (best was 7.6) and I tried the BP 98 on the return leg taking on 70 litres of the stuff. for some reason the car didn't feel as lively and I averaged high 10's / low 11's for the return leg. I filled it up with Costco 98 and it's been happy since. Go figure.

Which brings me to my next question, does anyone who doesn't use 98 bother with fuel additives / cleaners at all?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Which brings me to my next question, does anyone who doesn't use 98 bother with fuel additives / cleaners at all?

The carbi places I have spoken to who overhaul injectors reckon chucking a bottle of gear in the tank every now and then does little to clean the injectors. I have used them in the past but haven't for a long time, since switching to better fuel.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The missus current vehicle has always run on 95 and now 98 and yet still had issues with injectors. To say 91 is a dirty fuel but the higher grades aren't probably isn't accurate. If fuel was clean you wouldn't need a fuel filter period and it if was clean you wouldn't ever need to change it.

One of the issues with fuel injectors is the fact they are located in a hot engine, whilst the engine is running the fuel running through said injector keeps it clean and (relatively) cool but when you shut the engine down the injector stops been cooled and the tiny amount of fuel that would be in the very nose of the injector will heat and flash off. My understanding is that over time this can cause buildup around the end of the injector and nozzles/pintle in the injector tip which will slowly effect the injector flow and atomization.

Now lets think about just one injector with reduced flow or poor atomization on a high mileage engine which will make that cylinder prone to detonation and a modern EFI system using knock sensors to pull a little timing to make said engine happy. Then chuck in some high octane fuel...

Now if the advertising is to be believed, the higher octane fuels with more additives include fuel system cleaners. That doesn't mean you won't possibly have issues with the fuel injectors over time.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I use 7-Eleven 98 (Mobil) as its generally the best prices in the area and the 7-11 app is awesome

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Most of these stories don't acount for those of us who have modified/tuned engines beyond what the factory intended.
I agree, that is why in my post I suggested I needed 98RON for my car to even drive without pinging.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
The carbi places I have spoken to who overhaul injectors reckon chucking a bottle of gear in the tank every now and then does little to clean the injectors. I have used them in the past but haven't for a long time, since switching to better fuel.
Best way to clean injectors is out of the vehicle using ultrasound. I also doubt additives do much more than raise octane, for those particular types.

I do add octane boost to mine, especially if the weather is hot or especially humid, it seems to work.

Last edited:

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
The other issue in Aust at least is the cleanliness of 95 and 98 over 91. My bro in law comes across blocked filters on 100s of cars that always use 91, where as those who use premium fuels he doesn't get the same brown sludge that he can see coming out with a air gun once they get bad enough.
It might be different where you live, but I doubt it, but we have no refineries in QLD and all our fuel comes from Singapore, via ships. The formulations are different, 91, 95 and 98, but only blended ethanol e10 is adulterated here (which is 94RON).

So, I am not sure how the fuel is any cleaner.

I am not saying you are not correct, but I am suggesting it might not be the fuel itself, it might be other factors in the supply line.