Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who has the best 98 RON Fuel

Which do you use and why?

• BP

Votes: 74 62.2%
  • Mobil

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Caltex

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Shell

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • 7-Eleven

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • United

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Metro

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
That refinery also supplies other brands.....not just BP.

Fuel usually comes from the nearest refinery or these days about 2/3 of it is imported.

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
BP for me - I've found that I consistently get another 50-60 km per tank out of it compared to Mobil, Caltex or Shell. Performance is fine with any of them I think (or at least it's very close) but the better range wins the argument for me.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 STORM WAGON 2015
I used Shell, Caltex and PUMA 98 in my VZ that was tuned for 98. It pinged on all of them, started using Ultimate no ping better throttle response and millage. Got my VF SV6 tuned by Walkinshaw Perth and was told to use BP only. Very happy. Loaned my car to a friend when I went back up to work, I don't think he put BP in it as the throttle response wasn't there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From what I read I have heard BP 98 is the most pure. I have used BP, Mobil, Shell and Caltex. I now stick with Caltex as I get far better mileage from Vortex than any other brand close to 50km out of a 70L tank, compared to 91. Other brands of 98 I get about 35-40 extra km's. I have also found that Caltex 95 gets me almost as good if not as good a mileage as Caltex 98. I have tried this on four different makes of cars and the result has been the same. Far as performance goes I have not dynoed my cars before so couldn't say what provides the best performance as I have never owned a performance car. But the general consensus from mechanics I know they all tell me to use Ultimate. I only use 95 as it costs me the same as if I was running 91, yet is a lot easier on my fuel system as 91 contains too much yellow sludge.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
i use caltex vortex 98 and use shopper dockets, and best has been 9.4 country driving, stop start city driving is around 18.
it's amazing how little fuel these engines use, 376 cubic inches, 400+hp
i remember the old hotties from the 70s and 80s ,350 chevy 750 double pumper, twin point mallory, sig erson tq30, 4.11s, when cruising you could almost watch the fuel gauge going down,
with these cars vf2 ls3 i can chuck $30 in the tank, go for a good one hour drive and the fuel gauge has hardly moved.
i am very happy with the fuel economy , for a big v8 376 cubic inchs with 3.7 gears, performance and comfort
i just love going for drives

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I dont take a lot of notice of car gurus who havent tried out what i drive. Ive tested fuels myself and 95 definitely gets better economy. So this so called expert doesn't know everything. I had a female friend who knows nothing about cars. She told me to put Caltex 95 in because she gets better economy, go figure.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I love this guy's rants...

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/bp-...il-why-you-really-shouldnt-use-premium-petrol

I only use 98RON because I need that for pre-detonation, running a worked engine. All the other claims are pretty much BS in my book too.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/should-i-use-premium-petrol

Most of these stories don't acount for those of us who have modified/tuned engines beyond what the factory intended.

I dont take a lot of notice of car gurus who havent tried out what i drive. Ive tested fuels myself and 95 definitely gets better economy. So this so called expert doesn't know everything. I had a female friend who knows nothing about cars. She told me to put Caltex 95 in because she gets better economy, go figure.

Some experimentation certainly never hurts but generally speaking, if your car was tuned to run on 91 than it's highly unlikey that running 98 is going to make your car run significantly better. Certainly not enough to warrant the extra cost of said fuel. On a stock standard vehicle I certainly wouldn't believe the hype about premium fuels.