Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who thinks the cruise control system in the VF sucks?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ I can't answer as to whether Gen-F will apply the brake to stop you over-speeding downhill, but I know it doesn't have the radar function (apart from the big red BEEP BEEP BEEP which interrupts whatever you're listening to but also disengages the cruise).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
^ I can't answer as to whether Gen-F will apply the brake to stop you over-speeding downhill, but I know it doesn't have the radar function (apart from the big red BEEP BEEP BEEP which interrupts whatever you're listening to but also disengages the cruise).

But that function is pretty easy to turn off.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Yeah that launch effect as you approach the crest of some hills can be a bit of an adrenaline rush...mostly for passengers who aren’t expecting it :eek:
Yes! On the M1 northbound before the Ourimbah exit. Guess where the speed camera is located!!?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Yes! On the M1 northbound before the Ourimbah exit. Guess where the speed camera is located!!?

The cameras are usually placed at the most surprising and often most profitable locations. As I roar up the hill with cruise control off, the go-kart obediently drops gear and slows politely to the yellow light at the top. And just as well. Folks hurtling up the hill and through the lights are being watched by red light cameras. Around the other side, the bushes are a favourite haunt for mobile cameras, positioned just as cars are approaching the 100kmh limit and "zippering" into the traffic flow.

newi

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6 Turbo
I must agree. While it doesn't suck it isn't the greatest.

I just bought a '17 redline and have come from an FG turbo and the wife has an SZ2 territory. The Ford system is good - short press 1 km/h, long press 10km/h. Down hills they both drop a gear or two to maintain speed (without over revving..)

The REST of the car however, is brilliant compared to the XR. The VF2 feels a whole generation ahead (and I guess it is.)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey ... a cruise control question for those who’ve installed one of those devices which makes the ECU see faster application of the go-pedal than you’re actually providing, in order to make the car feel more responsive ...

Does it make the cruise control respond more quickly when the car’s coasted over the set limit, but a hill makes it then drop under the set limit?

Given that it usually gets to 3km/h under the set speed before it even starts doing anything about it, it’ll often be 5km/h under before it then accelerates enough to reach the set speed. There’s no excuse for the coding which doesn’t stop it from dropping under at all ...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hey ... a cruise control question for those who’ve installed one of those devices which makes the ECU see faster application of the go-pedal than you’re actually providing, in order to make the car feel more responsive ...

Does it make the cruise control respond more quickly when the car’s coasted over the set limit, but a hill makes it then drop under the set limit?

Given that it usually gets to 3km/h under the set speed before it even starts doing anything about it, it’ll often be 5km/h under before it then accelerates enough to reach the set speed. There’s no excuse for the coding which doesn’t stop it from dropping under at all ...

Given your not touching the go pedal when cruise is active, I wouldn't think the existence of a throttle controller should make any difference.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

I haven't noticed any difference to the behavior of the cruise system since fitting the throttle controller.