Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who to see/speak for new or 2nd hand V8 motors??

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
G'day guys,

HAve been speaking with a few mates of mine lately and we have all come to the consensus that instead of purchasing a new car with a V8 donk in it which has done 150,000kms, I should opt for a new or reconditioned V8 motor instead. I reckon thats a viable option. Plus it would leave without a car for too long if i sold my ride. As you can tell i belong to the V6 part of this forum but want to become part of this group!!!!

So anyway, does anyone know of where in Perth or someone i can speak to in regards to ordering and installing a new 5.0L V8 or Gen 3? Any help would be appreciated.................

C

CustomVN

Hi
I'm new here, but I think I can help you out I was askin same question a few weeks ago. It's a bit of a long story but it's amusing too lol.

This is basically how my perfectly fine 5Lt became useless after a routine job went drastically wrong, inspite of many tireless hours sweating, puzzling and in the end near tears trying to fix it.
It all started when I decided to replace my lifters because the old ones were noisy and erm old!
Everything went fine until some of the old lifters unavoidably fell apart as we tried to removed them just as we had with the others. The lifter bits fell down into the sump, there was nothing we could do to stop this happening. So we put new lifters in, tried to get 'chunks of lifter' lol out of sump, soon realised it wasnt gonna happen so put everything back together in hope the chunks would sink and then drain out of sump soon after.... Well, after idling for a few minutes, car began to sound very wrong, Pulled oil cap off to a white sludge hell :eek:
Took ages to find where/ how oil and coolant had mixed but basically we concluded that the lifter chunks were actually propelled around in sump and cracked the block.
Tried heat/ chemical/ metal weld (yes dodgy I know but after askin around and no one really knowing what else to try in this situation I gave it a go) It worked for 5kms then sludgified again :cry: Lucky I got to mates place, RAC towed it home and back to square one again.. :bang:
I tried everywhere to get just a new block but you can't get one unless its a long/ short motor kit which to me wasn't worth the $ difference between that and a re-con/ exchange motor which is $2800-$3000ish and i wouldnt get deposit back for my exchange either due to the block damage.
Lucky for me I can order parts cheap through someone at City Motors. I'm gettin a brand-spankin new motor (yep fresh from a crate) for $3200 Takes 2 weeks to arrive from order date (last Wed):yeah:
On top of this, I get to keep my engine which apart from block is fine, so I'm just gonna sell it for parts...VN Heads anyone? :)

Sorry about the length and detail of my post, but I hope it helps out! lol

If you need a hand finding somewhere to buy one I can probably help you out, just let me know.

C

CustomVN

I did a few enquiries on Saturday-

Amcap will sell parts (including new engines) to general public but it won't be as cheap as say, a company who orders parts thru them, will pay. Having said that, if you order thru a company who will charge you their mark up fee you would be better off buying it yourself.

Repco and Cov's will do exchange motors to general public. Not sure on cost, again unless you have a mate who works there or something, you probably would be better off going through Amcap.

Hope this helps. :cool:

H

HSV1992

Go to Peter Harvey, they used to do a 5ltr and manual conversion for $5,000 a while back.