Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whos got an LSD/minispool?!

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
it only cost 550 and i put it in myself just bought the whole unit off ebay wasnt to hard

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
Yeah, I was all for a minispool, until a mate at work scared me with his experiences in them.

I just thought about it for a minute, and realized; He wasn't doing the driving, the lockers were in a different car, the guy driving was probably flooring it on purpose.

Plus, I don't have time to root around with finding the best priced LSD in town, I have a deadline to meet, and the car has to be functioning well for what its going to be put through....

A quick question to those in the know, would it be worth throwing in new axles with a minispool, since they are going to be the weakest link?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
A quick question to those in the know, would it be worth throwing in new axles with a minispool, since they are going to be the weakest link?

meh mine were still in perfect condition so I reused them. wouldnt mind pulling one out to see how theyre going though. but I doubt the minispool alone will cause them to wear/twist/whatever.

kaneovp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
how much does it cost for a mini-spool wouldnt mind puting one in my car as my lsd is starting to play up

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Got my Mini spool new off ebay $40 a skyline diff full with eveything $100, and did all the bearings in my diff, my car kicks out very easy with 245 18s, but it is supercharged so and manual, without the charger it still kicked out easy aswell, but for what you pay for them they are great and as Morton said they are predictable and when you get the hang of it they are easy to drive/drift if you must, over an LSD, well worth the money, parking is fine i am over it lol, and its my daily aswell, but in the rain i dont bother bringing my car out, just jump in my mates SillyCar (celica).

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I payed about $80 posted from ebay. Great value for money compared to a decent LSD/locker setup and always have 50/50 drive to each wheel. And yes it makes the car easier to slide around (using throttle) but also easier to control with a bit of practice. Another thing I noticed though is steering becomes a bit heavier as the rear wheels are trying to keep the car in a straight line, but you get over that too. Its also my daily/only car.

I think Ive given enough praise now :p

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
When i go into a car park and pull in, and when the wheels are locked nearly the car will roll back when i put the clutch in lol, dunno if its strain on the axles or what.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Fitted a minispool a few weeks ago. Dont listen to people who tell you they are dangerous because they are NOT. I only have soft 205's on the rear and the car will not slide out just by turning sharply. I did some 'testing' in a secluded open bichamen area just to be amazed how well the car still sticks. Ive never had any problems in wet nor has it stepped out unexpectedly EVER. I can still corner sharply at 100k's with no problem at all. Most of the time you forget you even have one... until it comes to parking. But you get over/used to it. :)

Took the words right out of my mouth.
A spool can be a bit understeery in some conditions, but in normal driving conditions it's far more predictable than an LSD, especially a worn LSD.

This is right, it does make it understeer a bit worse but i noticed it is no where near as bad when your off the throttle... Dont know how that works lmao
so depending if i need more understeer or over depends if im on the throttle ;)

1. If you want to change axle's then go for it, just think of it as a security measure but the spools do alright with 28+spline axles, i have had the spool for almost a year of daily driving and parking pretty much everyday and there not stuffed yet haha

2. As people have said, slow speed parking is a bit weird when you first get it installed but you get used to it... its one of those things that you think "Is the **** parking worth having insane control and predictability of your car?"
AND you can minimize the skipping etc by putting on a nice set of sticky tyres :)

3. I could garentee almost everyone with a spool has giggled like a girl the 1st time they got it sliding, sooooooooooooooo easy and fun!
BTW i would recommend you get one if it was a daily but since its not a daily. 100% get one you wont look back!