Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why I would not buy a GM product again

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Going through the list of issues with my car I thought it would be interesting to list all that went wrong with it in less than 3 yrs since new. These issue really turned me off from Holden...

JUNE 2016 VF II SS

• Rattling noise on cold startup since new - dealer 1 & 2 said this was normal
• Coolant leak - crossover pipe
• Oil leak - rocker cover - new gasket
• Oil leak - rocker cover - again
• Engine replaced by Dealer 2 due excessive piston to bore clearance - 2.5yrs after problem was reported multiple times
• Exhaust leak - driver side - gasket replaced
• Muffler leak - pass side - muffler replaced
• Harmonic ballancer noise/wobble - balancer and belts replaced
- Service steering column warning light - poped up once and disapeared
- Service ESC poped op once as well and disappeared
-Horizontal lines on reverse camera - under investigation

• Dealer damaged the front bar - tried to conceal it by touching up, did not tell me. Promissed to respray the bar but did not.

- Dealer 2 always calls after I drop off the car with standard list of things I should have done - throttle body cleaning, wipers, cabin oil filter, brake pads....Mind you nothing wrong with anything above

All work was covered under warranty with some negotiations needed for engine replacement.

On a positive note, the car is perfect at the moment.

Let's see what's next :)

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What model?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Got to wonder if you had a Monday or Friday build? But then, this engine rattle that is deemed "normal" seems fairly common.

The damage on the front bar is unforgivable and should have been fixed or replaced at the dealers cost.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Got to wonder if you had a Monday or Friday build? But then, this engine rattle that is deemed "normal" seems fairly common.

The damage on the front bar is unforgivable and should have been fixed or replaced at the dealers cost.
The dealer shut down since ;) it was Muirs Ashfield - Sydney

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well that sucks for you. I hate it when business do that **** to duck out of doing **** or paying bills.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I hate dealing with issues and idiots like that! Makes my blood boil more than anything! That's pretty much the reason why I learn to do as much as possible myself. Can't stand paying for ****!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
At the moment, GM don't have a 'product' worth buying...

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Same story when I got a new 2012 turbo ute from fraud,3 diffs,rebuilt manual gearbox,tailshaft replaced,many minor things also done under warranty,roof lining etc,cracked seat base,eventually got it fixed up good and sold it back to fraud,spent more time at the dealership.
Its not just holden with dodgy cars,was a loyal ford fan for around 20 years,thought it was time I wasted some money on the other team lol

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I hate dealing with issues and idiots like that! Makes my blood boil more than anything! That's pretty much the reason why I learn to do as much as possible myself. Can't stand paying for ****!
I agree with you after I had a 2002 CV8 going to the dealer for its first service only to come back with 40mm dint and scratch on the lower d/s door. I pick it when I got home but dealers said that I did it by opening the door on something that I did not see. I had to get the dint fixed by a paint shop and the yellow Paint (Devil) did not match when a cloud appeared in the sky ( the door was darker cloud appeared) Never ever again will use anything that is a dealer without taking a video in from of a service manager or other before the car go in.

Arghhh by the way, I wont buy anything Holden as they dont have a Australian made product anymore.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Going through the list of issues with my car I thought it would be interesting to list all that went wrong with it in less than 3 yrs since new. These issue really turned me off from Holden...

JUNE 2016 VF II SS

• Rattling noise on cold startup since new - dealer 1 & 2 said this was normal
• Coolant leak - crossover pipe
• Oil leak - rocker cover - new gasket
• Dealer damaged the front bar - tried to conceal it by touching up, did not tell me. Promissed to respray the bar but did not.
• Oil leak - rocker cover - again
• Engine replaced by Dealer 2 due excessive piston to bore clearance - 2.5yrs after problem was reported multiple times
• Exhaust leak - driver side - gasket replaced
• Muffler leak - pass side - muffler replaced
• Harmonic ballancer noise/wobble - balancer and belts replaced

All work was covered under warranty with some negotiations needed for engine replacement.

On a positive note, the car is perfect at the moment.

Let's see what's next :)
Funny thing is the same dealer as the above post changed two 5.7L engines on the CV8 Monro before 10,000k and never scratched the car. the first engine (piston slap and drank oil more than petrol) was replaced with a new one and that one also had piston slap and also was drinking oil so it was re-built with longer skirts pistons and that fixed it.
Now these guys were good that worked on the car TWICE and yet it took a loser that can only change oil to damage the car with a dint