Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why I would not buy a GM product again

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
ranger is more feature packed while the colorado still feels like the rg from 2012 also it does not help that many of the collies had the defective engine in the 2014~2016 run that holden is still fighting hard to not replace.
that kind of thing drives people away when looking at the colorado and one of the most common questions i answer on the colorado groups is "does the 2019 colorado still burn oil" and of course the answer is no.

since 2012 the colorado has not changed much mechanically apart from the dm2 engine in my14 its all just been interior and facelifts so it still feels like the 2012.

maybe its the "RANGER" across the back and they all think they are walker lol i hate that type of branding and would make them remove it before sale.

I think the current Colorado feels a lot better than the 2012. I have driven the MY18, MY19 and recently the MY20. Roadtrip felt like driving a car compared to the older version.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That's what I don't even get. In terms of driving dynamics, I would rate the Colorado better than the Ranger. The Colorado has more power (apart from the new bi-turbo diesel that they've not long released), presents better value and in later models seems more reliable (having worked at workshops that service lots of both vehicles I have direct experience with reliability). I really don't get why people go and spend more on the Ranger.
While I avoid those sorts of things like the plague that they literally are, the comments I've seen by others have put the Ranga way ahead of the Colorado to either operate or be a passenger in.

Additionally, the Ranga looks more aggressive. These vehicles are in the main bought by automotive bullies with only two modes; blundering along in the right-hand lane at 5-10 k's under the limit because they're distracted by who-knows-what, or tailgating & recklessly cutting other road-users off. A more aggressive vehicle with styling that makes it look larger is more effective as a platform from which to bully.

V8 TIL 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MSE
Ranger seems to have hit the mark with its styling and car-like interior presentation - in a segment that really only had either Hilux or nothing, as mainstream choices.

It landed at the right time, to a market hungry for an alternative and the fact that Ford was clever enough to make available full dress-up specs like the Wildtrak.

V8 TIL 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MSE
They seem to also appeal to the urban cowboy Maloo type of driver (we seem to have plenty of them at work). Whilst a V8 Maloo is a nice toy, the tasty little tax dodge they enjoyed, also wouldn't have hurt in boosting ute sales.

There’s probably also a healthy market for those who see these being the next best thing to the large ‘Merican style pickups. Which probably helps explain why RAM trucks have enjoyed such great success in the short time since they started selling here.

Even though I’m not an SUV fan myself, anything factory-built in RHD with a V8, is always going to attract my attention - whilst we still have dinosaur juice available on tap.

V8 TIL 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MSE
All this talk makes me think back to the days of the once all-conquering Holden (I’m talking back to the Brock golden years) and the Holden v Ford rivalry that many of us grew up on.

The changes in consumer tastes and the declining path Holden set themselves on years ago, have helped ensure that we will never see those days again. I guess we all have to get used to the way ‘progress’ works...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I think the current Colorado feels a lot better than the 2012. I have driven the MY18, MY19 and recently the MY20. Roadtrip felt like driving a car compared to the older version.

2014+ have the same engine and driveline and are pretty much the same.
The 2012 was less power but still the same body etc.
I had a collie 2014 dc ute and got rid of it because the dc ute is a useless vehicle.
I swapped it for a 2016 collie 7 and after tuning and suspension upgrades it is much better but it also came with a defective engine so i had that replaced and its been good since.
They are a decent vehicle offroad but would benefit from lockers it is just not super comfortable when doing 8hr drives.

If i was to choose again i would probably go the collie 7 again but thats just my personal preference.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014+ have the same engine and driveline and are pretty much the same.
The 2012 was less power but still the same body etc.
I had a collie 2014 dc ute and got rid of it because the dc ute is a useless vehicle.
I swapped it for a 2016 collie 7 and after tuning and suspension upgrades it is much better but it also came with a defective engine so i had that replaced and its been good since.
They are a decent vehicle offroad but would benefit from lockers it is just not super comfortable when doing 8hr drives.

If i was to choose again i would probably go the collie 7 again but thats just my personal preference.

Are you talking Trailblazer when you say Collie 7? I do think they are uncomfortable after a long drive but so was the VE and current VF. I cannot remember a car that is comfortable to drive more than 5 hours.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Are you talking Trailblazer when you say Collie 7? I do think they are uncomfortable after a long drive but so was the VE and current VF. I cannot remember a car that is comfortable to drive more than 5 hours.

The trailblazer is the same thing as the colorado 7.
They sold it here first as the 7 then decided when they did the facelift they would use the trailblazer branding.

I dont mind my vf ssv for long drives but as we are all different the experience of comfort and handling will be different.

I forgot to mention the collies do tow well as i pull a 2t van and it does it very well.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I forgot to mention the collies do tow well as i pull a 2t van and it does it very well.
border-collies-pulling-a-cart-ERK7AD.jpg

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
The trailblazer is the same thing as the colorado 7.
They sold it here first as the 7 then decided when they did the facelift they would use the trailblazer branding.

I dont mind my vf ssv for long drives but as we are all different the experience of comfort and handling will be different.

Yes I am very aware they were Colorado 7 when they were first marketed in Australia. Overseas they were Trailblazer. One stage Holden had Colorado 7 on the rear as badging and Trailblazer on the side doors o_O