Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why is my vx taking so much petrol?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Once more, I'm with soop. If you are sure you are filling up twice a week, look for a leak. Also, try to park so your filler is very close to something hard (another car?) If it is not a leak or theft, it is also not your crazy fuel gauge. That in itself will not make you use more fuel. When was the last time a service was done? IE oil + filter. Air filter, Fuel filter, Spark plugs (and leads?) Has a wheel alignment been done? (front and rear) As previously suggested, 36 psi in the tyres. (I run 40 in mine. Harder ride but better fuel economy) o2 sensors as DLFHUB666 said above. Transmission slippage would be fairly obvious if it is happening. Dirty fuel injectors can cause this also. To finish on a not so bright note, the problem can be a combination of any of the above. start with the simple things.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
where abouts in sydney you live???? if you dont mind me asking.

i worked in the city for a couple of months.. so travelling from out west i was stuck in traffic for approx 2-4 hours a day... fuel econemy went through the roof and i was getting like 300-400 k's per tank. if you get less k's then that theres definetely a leak lol

justagirl86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I live in western sydney, and I never drive to the city.. I only drive my suburb or surrounding ones..

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
just saying that if your fuel economy is worse then that then its leaking hahaha

im from western sydney aswell. want me to come have a look?? doesnt bother me

justagirl86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
hi, the partner is a little weiry with you coming to look at the car.. he doesn't mean it in a bad way haha

I am trying to sell it though, so if you know of anyone who wants it, let me know.. :)

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
im from western sydney aswell. want me to come have a look?? doesnt bother me

No dont do it he is a rapist!!! JOKES Sorry couldnt resist.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
a guy i know has a very clean 1 owner well maintained VT S2 V6 auto

it does without fail, 8-9lt/100 on the hwy

9-12lt/100 around town

dependent on weather, aircon use, load etc.

you will get some variation as you seen here yourself but obviously 1.6 ton 3.8 ecotec cars are obviously not good around town

justagirl86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
- Cameron P, I didn't mean anything by it.. My partner gets jealous easily if you know what I mean.. :rofl2:

I would be more than happy for you to look at it.. maybe new eyes could see something everyone isnt..