Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why not to buy a K&N filter

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Have heard from the jap scence that they don't like K & N Filters because they are oiled and the HKS Filters in Jap Cars seem to perform alot better so eh who knows.

I run a pod in my vn ss and seems to do ok but must be better than a ryco filter surely.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hmmmmm - very enlightening! I might well be throwing that K&N as far as I can.....

Good post 2004 - pos rep added! :thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I run a big cai intake in the front bumper and drive on a few dirt roads but anyway please see this old post as to how good a uni/finer filter works, ignore the hi-flow chicken wire. Although there is a slight performance penalty using one of those over a K&N or no filter about .05 of a second to 100 km/h (on a 5litre) but given that VZ's run a much bigger filter and most of you guys have alloytecs that don't suck as much air as a 304 then you may not have any power difference at all

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/205277-post19.html

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yeh, I have to say that I noticed no performance gain with the K&N - makes a bit more inlet noise, that's about it. (not that I slung it on a dyno or anything, purely a "seat of the pants" measurement)

Cheerz!

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
I havent had any result of increased dusting using the K&N filter through oil tests as yet- got one at the lab at the moment, I will post up the result either way

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I havent had any result of increased dusting using the K&N filter through oil tests as yet- got one at the lab at the moment, I will post up the result either way

Nor did I, after having oil analysis done by Valvoline everything was fine. One thing i did do was clean and re-oil every 5000km's. Maf was always clean, so i can't imagine it really being an issue unless you are always driving on gravel. I even used the K & N on rally days in wet and dry conditions.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Mine doesnt get re-oiled for at least 20 000k's

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I only oil mine every 40,000 k's. Yeah its interesting, its probably better to clean the k&n less as the more dirt it traps it filters better, restricting air flow, defeating the whole reason why i got the bloody thing !!!. Apparently with the Foam filters, its hard to clean out all the dirt, it gets trapped in the centre, again this could just be K&n marketing claims against the foam stuff. What is the best branded paper filter to use ? Ryco ???

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i personally dont think that paper filters work all that well as well, its quite obvious to see dirt on the filtered side of the element,

so really its dammed if you do, dammed if you dont lol,

dawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV
Was just about to buy a K&N filter.... is there much performance gain comparing a K&N with the standard vr filter?
Anythin else i could get? Have we got any word on those Lukey panel filters yet?