Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why not to buy a K&N filter

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Was just about to buy a K&N filter.... is there much performance gain comparing a K&N with the standard vr filter?
Anythin else i could get? Have we got any word on those Lukey panel filters yet?

the only reason i bought a k & n for my car is the cost, why would i pay $35 for a paper filter when i can buy a re-usable one for $75, i only need to buy 2 to break even on it

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
The only thing I like about the K&N filter is the servicablility. My K&N filters been on my car for 6 years now, I brought the recharge kit for $30 and have serviced it approx. 40k and have done 150k since I brought the filter and still in good condition. My recharge kit will do another 2 servo's then I'll go buy another one for $35. Long term savings, only hassle is the servicing it.

If I had a new car I would put it on, as new cars have warranty and servicing, air filters get changed every 40k (I think), so the service cost covers that and power gain is not noticable, especially on a stock car.

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
i had one on my vx. didn't notice any increase in economy or power.
just had the wank factor of having a k&n filter. bit of a waste i reccon

Impala SS '96

Chevy Lumona SS 2005
Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevy Lumina SS
although it has the worst filtration ability it has the lowest restriction.

I believe Minux recipe is the best. Clean/ReOil more often & you'll have a decent filtering ability + an Outstanding low restriction.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
although it has the worst filtration ability it has the lowest restriction.

I believe Minux recipe is the best. Clean/ReOil more often & you'll have a decent filtering ability + an Outstanding low restriction.

yaay I clean my 2 every 5000 and I like them :)

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I was very interested in buy a lukey air filter as they are water washable, instead of buying those servicing kits. But I cant get hold of them anywhere in hervey bay. But I guess K&N may have to do.

sxcmonkey

SxcmonkeY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ v6 commy
ok,,,

i have recentely doen the 2hole mod and was not too happy with the result

and i went to local AUTOBARN where they had DRIFT brand K&N style panel filters

they are wet/dry type filters and they do not require oil.

the reason i bought it was it was $55 mates rate and servicability and fact that it doesnt need oil

i have heard and seen COMMODORES with FOAM TYPE filters which uses oil and SOME CASES oil gets throught the filter and into the cylidners as well as getting MAF dirty/oily

after that i never thought of buying K&N but DRIFT brand, i personally think its ok

i dont know but its giving me smoother acceleration and better inlet sound and bit better performance.. it could be just a feeling but i reckon its got better

im not going to say i got 5kw or whatever increase after putting the filter in

but i can say it gave me a better throttle response..

with the paper type ones, they are very pricy for long term and they have good filteration however not good enough flow.. ?

well that my idea..

lol