Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why wont my VT go hard when I accelerate??

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
My VT used to be the same, they don't seem to have alot of power from the get-go however with a V6 there is only a limited amount of things you can do, you seem to be on the right track changing things and looking for the problem but think about what your really aiming for, seems to me that you want something more powerful than what the VT's came out stock?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
First thing id be doing is a compression test.
no point looking elsewhere if the engine's worn out.

gimmily

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
My Friend has a VT and i have a VX (both ecotecs) and i can smoke him off the line. I drove his and it was really sluggish as well. He took it to his mech and found out that the diff gears were stripped (expensive to replace... about $1000). he showed us the gear and it didnt have teeth on half of it.

Alexs VT

VTs Kick Ass
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 1997 VT Executive
Good car u got there, my vt goes preety hard, its stock n does 0-100 in 8 secs, but my diff whines alot, does any1 have anyclue how to fix it? i think i just have to add new diff oil?????????

VT 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
female in dire need of some advice!!!!

:thumbsup: I have a VT Executive (98) and i was wondering if anyone would know what the base idle setting is for this model/make of car???

I just had the brakes done and the throttle cleaned, but the invoice also said adjusted "base idle"..I can feel the car is not the same, it's abit slower off the get go and in idle it WAS quite as..now i can hear the car's engine whilst in idle...

and also, I'm chasing new mags..will the Monaro VZ cv8-Z in 18'' fit my car???

female in dire need of some advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
:thumbsup: I have a VT Executive (98) and i was wondering if anyone would know what the base idle setting is for this model/make of car???

I just had the brakes done and the throttle cleaned, but the invoice also said adjusted "base idle"..I can feel the car is not the same, it's abit slower off the get go and in idle it WAS quite as..now i can hear the car's engine whilst in idle...

and also, I'm chasing new mags..will the Monaro VZ cv8-Z in 18'' fit my car???

female in dire need of some advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idle is computer controlled, and not readily adjustable. I think they are ripping you off.

The idle is 750 +/- 50rpm from memory. If you open the bonnet there should be a little orange label near the front bumper which tells you.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Well for starters, it's a VT and it's an Ecotec V6. VT's are bloody HEAVY cars (heavier than most), and, well, it's a V6. But i'm guessing what you mean is, it doesn't go AS hard as what it did before whoever it was, played around with it correct?

VT 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Well for starters, it's a VT and it's an Ecotec V6. VT's are bloody HEAVY cars (heavier than most), and, well, it's a V6. But i'm guessing what you mean is, it doesn't go AS hard as what it did before whoever it was, played around with it correct?
YES exactly....I took the car to the Holden Dealership to get the brakes done...assuming that, these guys "should" know what they are doing?? they "CLEANED THROTTLE BODY & ADJUSTED BASE IDLE"

and she came back very sluggish and the idle, well, she was not the same, she was CLEARLY missing, you know NOT steady and yesterday when I pulled up and a red light light she NEARLY stalled...

I went in today and a guy took it for a test run, they said to come back in couple of hours, and when I went back, they said, "they couldn't find a fault"..but I had a mate of mine, listen to the car this morning and it was very obvious..he was with me when i picked up my car and my mate couldn't believe the "no fault" response???

VT 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
The idle is computer controlled, and not readily adjustable. I think they are ripping you off.

The idle is 750 +/- 50rpm from memory. If you open the bonnet there should be a little orange label near the front bumper which tells you.
No, no little orange label under the hood at the front... and yes they charge...

Throttle Body ($100 to clean and adjust)..<< this is exactly how it's written on the bill...