Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why would you add an extra relay to starter?

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Hey guys new member first time poster so go easy on me.
I recently changed the starter motor in my vz executive as starting my car was very temperamental. All has gone well and starts fine now. I used a brand new starter from Trump electrical in Thomastown VIC only $90 and works a treat. However whlist fitting the starter I noticed a previous ownée at some stage had added an extra relay to the starter. The feed wire from the original relay had been diverted through a second relay that was cable-tied to my aircon hose. The were powering the relay with the think cable that comes direct from the battery. I know that it doesn't take much power to activate the relay but it is taking it from the starter supply only making matters worse and for the life of me I can't think of a reason anyone would do this! So do you guys have any ideas?

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
I'll take a wild guess - maybe a pre-existing problem in the starter circuit. If you return it to standard, you'll soon know.

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
I'll take a wild guess - maybe a pre-existing problem in the starter circuit. If you return it to standard, you'll soon know.
I did return it to normal and it works beautifully. You can hear the power and how fast it cranks. But they didn't ad a completely new relay circuit they simply extended the wiring to another relay so there was actually 2 relays on the starter. The factory and an aditional

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
boost relay added to improve current flow to starter soleniod , old or weak wiring cant pass full current to starter soleniod so auto elecs mechanics will add a simple boost soleniod to take the load off the old orignal wiring ..
sometimes first sign of starter soleniod going weak ..

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
boost relay added to improve current flow to starter soleniod , old or weak wiring cant pass full current to starter soleniod so auto elecs mechanics will add a simple boost soleniod to take the load off the old orignal wiring ..
sometimes first sign of starter soleniod going weak ..
As I explained before they didn't create a new circuit so it was still using all of the old wiring... therefore not providing a boost. If anything making matters worse.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
so the orignal soleniod wire was disconnect and used to switch the relay only , power from the starter cable direct from the battery with the two remain wires one to ground and one back to the soleniod .
this removes the high load off the orignal starting circuit and puts it thru to the relay now .
replacing the starter motor has resolved the issue due to a new soleniod and lower resistance requiring less current flow .

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Oh I totally get it now. So the relay was for the solenoid not the starter motor itself which was originally powered directly from the ignition switch. I totally get it. Clever little fix which I will remember if this starter fails but yes having a new starter has made all the difference it's fantastic. I also understand why they needed it it was clear removing the old one that it was second hand from the start. Thanks so much

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Well done to all. Good information here - glad you got your new starter sorted!

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Agreed very happy with the way my car starts now. Thanks to everyone for the information and input on the matter