Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Widest wheels on a VE?

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
What are the widest wheels people have put on VE's? Post width, offset, if guards are rolled and pics if possible. VE's have such sweet guards but they're begging to be filled!

I'm looking at SSR Professor SP3 wheels. Although I've seen a few other sets that look a bit better, these are the only ones with the required offsets. I roughly measured inner and outer clearance on an SV6 Sportwagon and it should be able to fit these:

Front - 19x9.5 +30 with 255/35R19
Rear - 19x11 +49 with 295/30R19

http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/sp3_181920.asp

That'd put the rim flush with the guards (guards rolled obviously)

Post experience/pics!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
are you asking legal widths, or any widths that will physically fit (with or without guard manipulation) ?

this in turn has road worthy and insurance ramifications, but I'm not about to start lecturing you or anything. just trying to get a better idea on what it is you are looking for.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
Not too concerned about legality. The guard lips will be rolled up flat. Don't want to flare though.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
just be careful, make sure you calculate the offsets correctly and get a really good gaurd roll if your car is lowered...

Ive got GTS 20x9.5" +45 with 275/30R20 and guards rolled running SSLs, and sometimes with a big bouce (usually when im fanging it on an uneven road) i can hear the squeek of the tyre hitting the inside guard!

Its hard to roll the VE guards completely put your hand in and see, its always gonna stick in a little bit, you might be able to get the inner lip cut out...

may i ask what the distance is that you have measured between the hub and the guard?

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
I measured roughly 35mm from rim to guard (front and rear) with stock rims and roughly 45mm from rim to inner wheel arch on the rear. The front only has about 18mm of inner clearance to the strut and I want more front negative camber so there isn't a lot to go wider inwards on the front. Stock wheels are 18x8 +48 so I worked it out from there. Fine adjustments can be made with camber adjustment if need be.

Yeah I understand the guards will be a challenge. It'll take a lot of heat and a hard rolling while holding something hard against the outer guard to keep the nice flat edge on the outside. I'd prefer to roll rather than cut to keep it strong.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
ah i knew it was one of them, are genuine gts 9.5"?, that could be why i get confused

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
.. but I'm not about to start lecturing you or anything...

That's why we've got Benboy here lol. I'm sure he'll chime in soon with his usual ADR compliance spiel.

OP, I think you'll be struggling with the sizes of wheels you mentioned. 9.5" wide are fairly common on the rears (I've got 9.5s on the back of mine) and I've heard of a coupe of people with10" wide. But 11" I think you'll be struggling with.

I hope you prove me wrong though because that would look absolutely fat! The 9.5's/275s on the rear of mine already look heaps fat. Check out the pics in my ride thread. :thumbsup:

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
Measurements say 11" would work but after looking at tyre availability and price, I think i'll scrap that idea FOR SURE lol.

New plan: 19x10 +37 front, 19x10.5 +43 rear, 275/35R19 Falken FK452 all round. Much cheaper for tyres.

The trick to fat look and no rubbing is getting the offset spot on and running a slightly stretched tyre.