Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a cat back help fuel consumption?

MtnsVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV redline wagon
I did a run down to Albany and back to Perth, got average 9.1 ltres /100klm. The VF Calais V is the best car I have ever had or driven.

What fuel did you use ? I am in the middle of evaluating E85, E10 and PULP on Cost v mileage basis. 4 tanks of each going to take me 3 months to get some results.

Del Boca Vista

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
I put a 2.5 inch Walkinshaw catback system on a VF SSV sportwagon and haven't noticed any change in fuel consumption (either up or down). Certainly noticed the increase in the growl though.

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I am about to acquire a SSV-Redline. Finally convinced myself I can live with the cream/white interior touches. Would prefer all black, but its just not an option with the Redline.

Cant decide if I want to pay the money for the W310, or just get the rumble with a catback system. what does a catback from walkinshaw cost? I know the W310 is $6495.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
This thread has to make you laugh, buy a pushrod 6lt V8 and mod for economy.

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Lets be honest, who buys a V8 with economy in mind?

I just want the rumble. I still remember back in the day when the SS wasnt that common. You could hear the only guy in town with one coming from miles away. Its the noise we all want.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Will it be a new Redline you are getting?

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Yeh a nice new white VF Redline, with rear spoiler. that lip thing just annoys me. I thought long and hard about the redline with regards to the extra cost. I considered resale value, the options, do I need this or that. But reality is I can just afford to get the Redline and it will be one up on my mates so thats the real reason for it, haahha.

I dont necessarily want the performance improvements, I want a rumble though. I want it to sound like a V8 should.

Thus my question with regards to catback costs. If i can get the noise for way less, it just makes sense.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do a Manta cat back that will give it a really nice note. Deep with no drone and has a nice note when you get up it. $1195 shipped for manual, $1295 shipped for the auto.

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Sweet. i will add it to my list. I assume peeps on here have it and given it a positive review?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Absolutely. I have sold a heap of these systems to people on here and have had nothing but positive feedback. The Manta is one of the best sounding systems on the VE V8.