Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will a V6 VT benefit from premium fuel?

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
You may be right but IMO you'd need to do at least 10 tanks of each in similar driving conditions to get something approaching statistically significant results. I often see 1+ L/100km difference using the same fuel driving around town. Depends how many red lights you get, how many short trips and cold starts you do, how many camrys you get stuck behind, how much you rev it out, weather conditions (wind and rain) etc etc. Too many darn variables...

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
I can't remember whether I'd installed the chip in mine when I started noticing it would knock on 91. I first noticed this in summer a few years ago so my solution was to go to 98. The chip most likely has a more advanced timing curve so the higher octane cured the knock.

Highway use, winter... meh. But when I had to gently accelerate uphill on a warm summer's day she'd start knocking. I've generally tried to use at least 95 since then. It does feel like it has a bit more poke on 98 over 91. I find no noticeable difference between fuel brands.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The only brand I avoid like the Black Death is Caltex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
over here i try to run caltex when i can.the difference between BP 95 and caltex 95 is noticable as soon as i fill up my average drops 1 whole litre /100km withen minutes on the dash

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Eww, had some nasty pinging a week ago from Caltex, two tanks of BP ultimate later and the improvement is amazing.

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
Eww, had some nasty pinging a week ago from Caltex, two tanks of BP ultimate later and the improvement is amazing.

Yeah I usually use BP. Especially when here in Reservoir, Coles express (shell) has 98 for 1.73 and the bp is only 1.51 per litre!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Drew_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina.
Here in the boonies of rural NZ we only have a Z servo ( used to be Shell ) and a Caltex.
When I first got my car I ran Shell 91 in it, but it used to run pretty average and lacked any go so I switched to Shell 95 and have never looked back. The improvements in power, economy and response were extremely noticable and its such a better car to drive for it.
When I am in the city, I will splash out for some BP 98 which is even better. I used to run 98 in my old 202 VK and she sang a sweet song on that :)
Drew

Last edited:

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I really want to check with someone first. So I just got my first car, a 2003 VY ii Executive and its nearly due for its first fill up. I'm considering using premium over regular but will it cause any issues? So from reading this thread the main advantage of using the good stuff is its cleaner and some get better performance. So is it worth me running premium? Thanks in advance :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Best advantage will be 95 pulp, bit of an octane boost and the additives will clean just as well as higher octane.
98 pulp, you're going to gain 1/5th of sfa on a stock engine, the cr and ignition timing simply can't take advantage of it.
e10, although clean you won't get the mileage out of it, if it was >20 cents cheaper per L than ulp it'd be worth while.