Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will a V6 VT benefit from premium fuel?

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
First car and has to ask what fuel to use and wants to tune it to premium only ? (burnout icon).

Old Man Me feels like suggesting just to drive it for a bit.

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
Thanks for the info everyone. I've decided to just let the car run on regular for now, just so I can get a feel for the car first. Going to work on the car first and then I'll worry about fuel later :)

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Answer to op's question is NO The standard VT V6 is designed to run on 91ulp. Read the owners manual. To run efficiently on 98 the compression ratio has to be higher. To get full benefit of 98 the intake and exhaust has to be modified on top of the higher compression ratio. :)

D

devilly

thanks heaps :) :) :) i always run 91 and tried the 95 today

on idles for the past 2yrs its been sitting on 1.5 l/h today i fueled up with 95 and it's sitting on 1.3 l/h.and when i hit 2 on tacho it usual says 5.something l/h now it says 4.something l/h

thanks heaps for correcting the information i was given edals :)

Nikolaipeteovsky

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY 3.8 (Stock)
I recently drove from mebourne to perth and tried both 91 octane and 98 octane and I actually had better economy with 91 by about 100 ish km.

I was driving my 2003 VY 3.8 ecotec towing a 5x7 with a wr450.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I recently drove from mebourne to perth and tried both 91 octane and 98 octane and I actually had better economy with 91 by about 100 ish km.

I was driving my 2003 VY 3.8 ecotec towing a 5x7 with a wr450.

Do you really expect the computer to adjust instantly? It takes days for the ECU to adjust properly.
Some people expect it to be instant...IT WILL NOT BE NOTICEABLE FROM THE SECOND YOU PUT 98 IN YOUR TANK, MAYBE TRY AND RESET YOUR ECU AND IT MIGHT ADJUST A LITTLE QUICKER!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I honestly don't believe you will see any gains period. Higher octane does not mean more timing. The PCM has a timing map and that is what it gets, it'll pull timing out if you get detonation but it won't add extra timing in if you put better fuel in it.

The only benefit I see from running 95 or 98 is that they contain additives to help clean the fuel system, much like running a bottle of fuel system cleaner once in a while with 91.

To get the full benefits of 95 or 98 you need to tune for it.

D

devilly

i just held the mode and up button start car holding them and release once started.mine changed straight away under liters/hour ratio :)

which is once cars is started it will display volts then press mode again and it will display liters in tank press mode again until u find l/h.

u can find a setting and leave it on that one and drive around. :)

reset do you mean hold left and right button and turn acc on and wait for the RESET to be displayed ? the press mode to accept it

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
reset do you mean hold left and right button and turn acc on and wait for the RESET to be displayed ? the press mode to accept it

Nope disconnect negative terminal for a few mins resets the ECU