Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will a V6 VT benefit from premium fuel?

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I really want to check with someone first. So I just got my first car, a 2003 VY ii Executive and its nearly due for its first fill up. I'm considering using premium over regular but will it cause any issues? So from reading this thread the main advantage of using the good stuff is its cleaner and some get better performance. So is it worth me running premium? Thanks in advance :)
If the car has super low k's it will run fine on 91
If it's like most 02-03 vx-vy's it's over 200000 k's then run the 95
Mine VX2 (200003k) seems to run better on 95 than either 91 or 98 (BP) but it has the original coil packs and needs new ignition leads soon

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
Thanks guys. The car only has only done 95k. I'll give the premium a go and see if I see any difference. Will it take maybe a tank or two too see any difference in performance or should it be pretty noticeable?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Thanks guys. The car only has only done 95k. I'll give the premium a go and see if I see any difference. Will it take maybe a tank or two too see any difference in performance or should it be pretty noticeable?

I run BP98 in both my cars. it took a couple of tanks to see any difference and while it is minimal (Around an extra 50km per tank), I prefer to keep using it. someone like MACE can tune the car to only take ultimate, which if you can handle will improve performance noticeably. Just make sure you don't regularly end up in places that don't sell it.

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
Ok cool. I plan on getting the car tuned soon so I'll get them to tune it to premium. The cleaner fuel is very appealing to me and if it makes things run smoother then I'm all for it. I don't intend to take this car to anywhere remote so I don't think that will be a problem, this will be purely my street machine :driving:

D

devilly

i was told only use what it says in the book 91.
i asked why.
the answer i got was use anything else and all the rubber seals in fuel pump e.t.c will slowly eat away come loose and start blocking the system.
so i only use 91 and only occasional put in injector cleaner

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
i was told only use what it says in the book 91.
i asked why.
the answer i got was use anything else and all the rubber seals in fuel pump e.t.c will slowly eat away come loose and start blocking the system.
so i only use 91 and only occasional put in injector cleaner

That applies to ethanol fuel such as E10.
Run 91 95 or 98 it won't damage a thing re the seals/rubber.

D

devilly

oh Kewl thanks for clearing that up :) ethanol rings a bell as what they were talking about. it chewed the fuel pump rubbers that bad they had to have a tow home.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Ok cool. I plan on getting the car tuned soon so I'll get them to tune it to premium :driving:
I would be very wary on this as slot of the time the 95 & 98 pumps are out of order and you either get 91 or E10 as your only option
Sucks when you need fuel and can't get to another servo

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
oh Kewl thanks for clearing that up :) ethanol rings a bell as what they were talking about. it chewed the fuel pump rubbers that bad they had to have a tow home.

It's not really a problem with the newer materials used in hoses, pumps and seals these days, low ethanol content like e10 won't do much.
It'd be a different story if you put it in a 35+ year old vehicle with it's original hoses and diaphragm pump though.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The Eco tune has both high and low octane tables so if you want to see noticeable benefits get your car tuned to suit. On a stock tune it'll barely scrape through bang for buck - dependent on what you're paying per litre.