Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a WK Stato/Caprice dash fit into a WH Caprice?

KB962

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7
Hi all!

Has anyone tried or successfully put a dash (or just the instrument cluster) from a WK into a WH?
I love my WH's looks but also really like the dash setup in a WK.. To have it in the WH would be an awesome sight..
If anyone has done this can you tell me roughly what costs and extra parts are needed? (Looms etc)

Many thanks

Kevin

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
Gday mate im gonna be undertaking this exact task in my wh grange. Ive got nearly everything I need just a few bits and pieces left. First and foremost yes the dash will get fit. Best part is the heaterbox is the same. But your gonna have to get your hands on a complete body loom from a wk caprice. I say caprice because then its got everything. Youll also need a bcm and keyhead to suit as theyre different, both electric seat looms if your keeping the wh seats, door looms, vy/wk fuel sender, roof loom (sunroof/no roof, caprice roof accessories etc not needed if you dont want them), passenger airbag, youll have to splice the boot lid loom into the wk one so you have reverse lights and obviously every switch and button including the cluster. Everything must be from s wk as wl have the alloytec v6 and 6l v8 and as such are completely different. Now if it weren't for the bcm you could literally just repin the new wk accessories to the original wh loom. I know this works as ive done it already for the roof and ive compared the 2 looms at each plug and can confirm there identical and its just the plastic connector that's different. This all sounds very daunting I know but honestly once you've stripped out your interior and removed the original loom, putting the new one in is a bit tedious but after all the looms are put in place and if your careful enough have retained the mounting clips, putting everything back in is literally plug n play and itll be done before you know it.
Finally the price. ..start saving bud, the loom from a wreckers including the bcm and keyhead is gonna cost around $800 and I bought holdens last one ($350). I also managed to keep my luck going cause I picked up everything accept seats (ive got ve senator signature front seats to goin) for $150... hpw and other wreckers charge more than that just for a cluster or the centre console overlay... any questions feel free to ask

LUXLNR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman
Hey mate will you be changing all the looms? I'm wanting to do this to my WH statesman but wanting more info before I go ahead with it, cheers

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate will you be changing all the looms? I'm wanting to do this to my WH statesman but wanting more info before I go ahead with it, cheers

Gday yea Im changing every loom except for the engine/trans looms. I managed to source a brand new wk caprice loom from holden directly and ive also gotten a hold of wk grange seats roof lining with sunroof and a few other bits and pieces.. the hardest and most delicate part of the whole thing is feeding the loom through the firewall into the engine bay. You dont wanna knick any wires obviously but you also dont wanna damage any plugs especially around the relays which is where it gets especially tight and somewhat difficult.
I haven't started my conversion yet because im still waiting for the loom to arrive and im also waiting on a bcm and keyhead but otherwise I have 2 complete interior conversion black with cream leather/suede and shale with hlower half cream suede.. thats dash, door cards with inserts, parcel shelf, carpet and every conceivable plastic piece...so its fair to say my spare room is chockers

James_aitchison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II S Pac 3.6L V6
I pulled a VY Calais loom through the fire wall, pulling through from the inside coming through the interior. It was easy since the fue/relay box was already crushed from the accident. But still a tight fit easier if there is nothing in the car at all. A common thing is unpinning it from the fusebox.

LUXLNR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman
Gday yea Im changing every loom except for the engine/trans looms. I managed to source a brand new wk caprice loom from holden directly and ive also gotten a hold of wk grange seats roof lining with sunroof and a few other bits and pieces.. the hardest and most delicate part of the whole thing is feeding the loom through the firewall into the engine bay. You dont wanna knick any wires obviously but you also dont wanna damage any plugs especially around the relays which is where it gets especially tight and somewhat difficult.
I haven't started my conversion yet because im still waiting for the loom to arrive and im also waiting on a bcm and keyhead but otherwise I have 2 complete interior conversion black with cream leather/suede and shale with hlower half cream suede.. thats dash, door cards with inserts, parcel shelf, carpet and every conceivable plastic piece...so its fair to say my spare room is chockers

Alright cool, so if you aren't changing the engine/trans loom does that mean you wont be changing the ECU? I'm currently looking at a whole dash with centre console and all computers but unsure if it will come with the wiring loom. which hole will you be going through to get the loom into the engine bay? I've done a whole conversion from beige interior to black on mine but didn't really take much notice when I had the whole car apart

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
I pulled a VY Calais loom through the fire wall, pulling through from the inside coming through the interior. It was easy since the fue/relay box was already crushed from the accident. But still a tight fit easier if there is nothing in the car at all. A common thing is unpinning it from the fusebox.

Yea as you said though half of it was crushed lol. Im unsure as to luxlnr plan of attack is but im replacing the interior in one of my granges carpet to roof lining but so ill have a bare interior to start with. Theres still a degree of difficulty and patience required so I wouldn't say easy id say its tedious. Little bits at a time slowly is better than a nightmare quickly

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright cool, so if you aren't changing the engine/trans loom does that mean you wont be changing the ECU? I'm currently looking at a whole dash with centre console and all computers but unsure if it will come with the wiring loom. which hole will you be going through to get the loom into the engine bay? I've done a whole conversion from beige interior to black on mine but didn't really take much notice when I had the whole car apart

Engines the same for v6 and v8 up to wk. Wl had the alloytec v6 and 6.0l v8 and as such are completely different. Engine loom is on the passenger side and will plug in to the body loom behind the kick panel or dash end cap. The body loom is the main one you need to replace and its located on the drivers side behind the fuse panel. It wraps around the engine bay in 2 directions. One end across the front to the passenger headlight and the other across the firewall/scuttle panel to the cruise control and a/c compressor if im not mistaken.

LUXLNR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman
Engines the same for v6 and v8 up to wk. Wl had the alloytec v6 and 6.0l v8 and as such are completely different. Engine loom is on the passenger side and will plug in to the body loom behind the kick panel or dash end cap. The body loom is the main one you need to replace and its located on the drivers side behind the fuse panel. It wraps around the engine bay in 2 directions. One end across the front to the passenger headlight and the other across the firewall/scuttle panel to the cruise control and a/c compressor if im not mistaken.

Alright cool :) starting to make a bit more sense, is this the same case for the supercharged motors? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I can do everything's without getting half way through and finding out I need something I don't have haha

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
All good man im exactly the same and im happy to help
Yes everything from vt-vy s2 or wh-wk are the same. Because theyre made on assembly line obviously makes for faster production of the car.
The only issue I can foresee is youll need the bcm, key head and pcm all linked so itll start the first time