Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Yeah it’s the supercharged v6. The ve cammed Ute would need a lot of effort to run that sort of time with the tune that’s in it at the moment + the perfect launch. The Audi u just set it in dynamic mode and press the accelerator and hang on.

Sorry I haven’t learned to use the quote feature yet as most of my posting is on the iPhone.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah it’s the supercharged v6. The ve cammed Ute would need a lot of effort to run that sort of time with the tune that’s in it at the moment + the perfect launch. The Audi u just set it in dynamic mode and press the accelerator and hang on.
Mike it sounds like you need to tune your VE properly, then consider trans calibration to match your tune. Hardly anyone does, so yeah a lot of piss poor performing VE/VF huffing about.
However your cammed VE even with BS tune is at least 300rwkw (380 kW), vs litter R5 less than 180awkw (245 kW). BTW that’s the shy end of the spectrum, a cammed tuned VE is typically 320rwkw (410 kW), with tuned (ported) bits 350rwkw, and the upper range being 370-400rwkw (470-510 kW). So you can see how it is sort of letting down the team a bit tarring cammed VEs with the lacklustre of your state of tune, when a tidied VE on a bad day smokes all and any Audi 5 Series including the latest RS5 TT?
I test drove several before I bought the VE, settled on a faster yet less busy mode of A-B.
At 300rwkw you should definitely click in the low 4s (even with AC on)! At 370rwkw you are at the limit of street tyres to 100 in four seconds flat. That’s one gear change, zero spin, like you said press accelerator and hang on. Cue to 1:50...
Perhaps your tune and setup is crap, perhaps your transmission of same is crap. Perhaps, just like hopping into a Golf R, the difference is purely experiential and not played out in actual results ie sporty feels fast.
Perhaps the answer is with driver mod - driver not commanding 100% power because the transmission is wild and terrible - but like racers of the Minis of old you are able to commit more power more of the time when it is predictable and more controllable.
I think the difference is just a matter of tune, transmission and tyres. In the case of the RS5 being near $200k, seems a folly not to “sort” your VE with trans flash, Torsen diff like the Audi, and $500 a corner tyres, like the Audi.

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Just to clarify my answer is its all in the transmission of torque - trans tuning (‘box and diff) for auto, driver mod for manual.
Having an auto my setup ‘banks’ high torque load in the TC (convertor) and TVD (dampener) and delivers like a programmable flywheel, another engine of sorts.
Auto takes away the brainwork, as name suggests, such that convertor slip and apply ramps the challenge becomes less dependent on which nut is behind the steering wheel / how to press the go pedal, but objective science to calibrate the high load to diff with stock 2.92 ratio. The aim of trans tune is to transmit torque per road speed as opposed to either locking up (1:1) or plain dumping with excessive TM (negative torque).
Most people lock up the convertor, zero the torque management, and raise the diff’s numerical ratio (spins like crazy with 6l80’s first gear takeoff); or let the shitty US safety sponge barge of a trans tune dump the torque before it is effectively transmitted. Or both :p
I only use first gear when setting stupid times screaming hair on fire with boy racers, otherwise 0-100 second gear is fine in the 4s hardly any spin without the need for gear change.
Most cars don’t do under 5s so I think second gear stock diff is a better way to get going than screaming like a ricer or popping several DSG farts like it’s DTM championship.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Easy. The Swinger wouldn't be in my driveway, to begin with.;)

Same here, I'd ask my wife's girlfriend to leave it parked out on the street. :)

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Huh?
Is this a trick question?

I think it is an easy one.

We can always get the Stinger later, but we have to take the Last real Holden now. When we can't own a real Holden anymore, the Stinger will be available.

Look a guy driving a Stinger,:oops: missed out on owning a real Holden.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Hehe love monsters answer. All good mines a manual tho.
Yeah 305rwkw with hsv headers and small walkinshaw exjqist but the tune definetly needs work. Had squealing belt and to my shock the harmonic balancer was only finger tight. So needed a new one cos old one buggered.

Yeah the S5 has Apr tune ( 2 hrs of purchase). No dyno but supposed to be 440bhp. It feels strong as a guess perhaps 350awhp not sure.

Should have a 3 way traffic light sprint between my cars. I reckon the supercharged 540i manual would prob pip both the Audi and tuned Ve Ute.

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline Sedan & 2014 VW Golf R
Just saw this youtube vid from Wheels mag that was released today.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Has there been a comparo yet?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
That thing looks **** on the dirt. On all corners actually.
"It's got launch control, it's got a lovely automatic gearbox"...blahdy blah blah. Pompous bloody wanker. If these tossers are not taking a kick back I'll throw my keys in the Swingers bowl... No, no I won't. But I'll eat my used Bridgestones! One burnout at a time.
That said, I'd love to see 5 laps of Phillip Island Redline, V Stang, V Swinger. I'd put my money on the V8 brawlers.

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Haha! COTY ain’t that just the kiss of death!
2013 of course was the ubiquitous Peugeot 2008 crossover that changed people’s perception of French motoring value.
2014 was the revolutionary BMW electric i3 you charge up all night, 3kW/hr, to drain again short shopping trips around town. To save money and hassle and earth.
2015 well... from a World perspective read this crap, or watch this. But don’t dare say an SS is ever as good as a Euro, especially the World’s COTY!
2016 Wheels COTY was Mazda’s MX5 latest major flop universally panned except by Wheels.
2017 is Mazda CX-9 minibus / awd sports behemoth, a $60k competitor to X-Trail and Kluger in the 2.5l fwd gerlytruck segment.
Which brings us to the most hyped, bulshitted about POS per OP - I hope it is better than the Commodore in as many ways these motoring experts recount - like automatic gearbox and Macpherson struts, etc.
Who the **** takes Wheels never mind COTY seriously deserves two of the shitty cars the dunny rag recommends.

Last edited: