Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Stock VZ V6 Wagon Exhaust system bolt into my VX?

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Just bought another VX wagon with a straight through exhaust nothing but a hot dog. Way too loud for this old fella, I want to go back to stock. Will a VZ V6 system bolt up? Had a guy offering to straight swap me but we're not sure if it'll fit.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Depends on the configuration of the pipes,

Some have dual pipes off the engine pipes (behind the cats) to a H section, then to the intermediate mufflers, then some times a single or dual pipes to the rear muffler.

Some have the dual pipes (to the cats), then go into a single pipe Y piece to an intermediate muffler, and then to the Rear Muffler.

there are a few variations of exhaust systems across the models/variants.
Also depends on if the Hangers are installed.

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Thanks. When you say "some". Do you mean some VX V6s are different to other VX V6s and some VZ V6s are different other VZ V6s? Let's assume just a simple basic executive VX wagon compared to a simple basic VZ executive wagon.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks. When you say "some". Do you mean some VX V6s are different to other VX V6s and some VZ V6s are different other VZ V6s? Let's assume just a simple basic executive VX wagon compared to a simple basic VZ executive wagon.
Because one is a alloytec & the other is a ecotec, l think they will be different?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Because one is a alloytec & the other is a ecotec, l think they will be different?

That's what I thought too.

Reactions: Lex

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
That's what I'm thinking too but he says his mate works on exhausts and say they're interchangable. I'm curious because it's low km and a nice stock exhaust.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's what I'm thinking too but he says his mate works on exhausts and say they're interchangable. I'm curious because it's low km and a nice stock exhaust.
Maybe he is thinking vy?

If he's close enough, go & have a look?

Ring a few different exhaust shop & ask if same?

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Maybe he is thinking vy?

If he's close enough, go & have a look?

Ring a few different exhaust shop & ask if same?
I'm guessing the VY would be the same as the VX but not sure either. The VY was a specific question because maybe (just maybe) they kept the same exhaust configuration even though they changed the engine. It'd be very fortunate for me if they did. I'd rather ask a forum of enthusiasts before bothering an exhaust shop about a job they won't get. Dudes work hard. I don't want to that time waster. You guys on the other hand have nothing but time...lol

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm guessing the VY would be the same as the VX but not sure either. The VY was a specific question because maybe (just maybe) they kept the same exhaust configuration even though they changed the engine. It'd be very fortunate for me if they did. I'd rather ask a forum of enthusiasts before bothering an exhaust shop about a job they won't get. Dudes work hard. I don't want to that time waster. You guys on the other hand have nothing but time...lol
I believe vy s1 & vy s2 are diferent. vys1 has 1 cat & vy s2 has 2 cats
Vy s1 l think is the same as vx?

Your original question was will a vz wagon fit a vx.

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
I believe vy s1 & vy s2 are diferent. vys1 has 1 cat & vy s2 has 2 cats
Vy s1 l think is the same as vx?

Your original question was will a vz wagon fit a vx.
Excellent. That’s good info. Thanks. Going off that, the answer to my original question must be no. But the VY series 1 is a definite maybe.

Now playing m wondering if a VX series 1 stock exhaust will bolt straight into my series 2 VX. I assume all the hangers are the same.

Had the car for 48 hours and only just floored it. Open exhaust makes a difference for sure. Luckily I don’t buy this car for its gigantic horsepower levels. A stick eco will be just fine.