Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Sad but u gotta make cars people want. And you should have some aspirational models. Is the CEO going to drive around in a new commodore. Prob not.

Ford (the previous laughing stock) seem to be doing much better as they have some popular cars being the mustang, ranger, festva, and focus. All are decent cars in their own right with abit of substance behind them. As for Holden, other than the VF commodore which is a cracker when they run out, all they have left are white goods on wheels.

Without a c/ $60k asprational model they will just become another Peugeot.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Same general shape and size which makes me wonder why a large FWD sedan can't be built as a RWD using a modified platform

Have you seen the Supercar races lately. Those ZB's aren't FWD

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The ZB alone won't be the end of GM in oz, the last 10 years of **** holden served up will be.
A long time friend, who works for Holden, that i catch up with a couple times a year said this. He says the early troublesome Craptivas hurt future/current SUV sales for them as customers think anything they sell now is just a rebadged one of those **** boxes. Same with the smaller cars because of the rubbish Astras and Vectras from some years back.
The Colorados don't have the best reputation (oil burners) and speaking from experience, the RA Rodeos engine failures of the mid 2000's steered a lot of people away who never came back.
The Australian made commodore is probably the only car in their line up that had loyal customers. That's done with now, so i guess the ZB is the final straw.....

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Have you seen the Supercar races lately. Those ZB's aren't FWD

I had sorta worked it out that the ZBs were not FWD 2 litres, just like the Nissan Altima was not a RWD V8.
But the Supergocarts have not been Holdens or Falcons since I dunno when. I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that they are awesome racing machines that bear no resemblance to any road car. It has been a long evolution road from Series Production.

Back onto the OP subject, if you can distance yourself from the more job losses that will be inevitable within GM/Holden, I don’t care if either survive, as long as I can get replacement parts for my current Aus built cars. (Yep …. stuff you GM, as long as I’m OK)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Well if GM pull out of Australia, do you think they'll supply any parts for any of their previously built cars ?

I think not. Now that's got you thinkin'

BTW the only resemblance to the road cars that the V8's Supercars have is their shape, apart from that they are a kit car.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Well if GM pull out of Australia, do you think they'll supply any parts for any of their previously built cars ? I think not. Now that's got you thinkin'

No. That's the scary bit. I don't think they would even bother to consider it.
So my next port of call in that scenario would have to be either RareSpares, or the nearest Cheap Chinese Car Shop for a disposable car..
( I have 2 Holdens that are on the endangered species list now.)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
The ZB alone won't be the end of GM in oz, the last 10 years of **** holden served up will be.
A long time friend, who works for Holden, that i catch up with a couple times a year said this. He says the early troublesome Craptivas hurt future/current SUV sales for them as customers think anything they sell now is just a rebadged one of those **** boxes. Same with the smaller cars because of the rubbish Astras and Vectras from some years back.
The Colorados don't have the best reputation (oil burners) and speaking from experience, the RA Rodeos engine failures of the mid 2000's steered a lot of people away who never came back.
The Australian made commodore is probably the only car in their line up that had loyal customers. That's done with now, so i guess the ZB is the final straw.....
Add the timing chain VE issues and holden rep is avg at best, years ago average build quality but very reliable not anymore

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Add the timing chain VE issues and holden rep is avg at best, years ago average build quality but very reliable not anymore

and truthfully even though they claimed that Alloytech engines built from the 18th of May 2008 were ok, there still seems to be quite a few from 2011 etc that are still failing. Will be interesting to see if VF built 6 cylinder engines still end up falling foul of this issue.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well if GM pull out of Australia, do you think they'll supply any parts for any of their previously built cars ?

I think not. Now that's got you thinkin'

BTW the only resemblance to the road cars that the V8's Supercars have is their shape, apart from that they are a kit car.

From memory, they are oblidged to supply parts for 10 years (I think)....Been like that since I can't remember when....After that, it has always been the aftermarket people taking over.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
they are oblidged to supply parts for 10 years (I think)

That may be so, however if GM shuts Holden down, there is no one for the Govt or anyone else to hold to account under the requirement.

Last edited: