Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows 7 - Tester Opinions

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Anychace it will use less ram to power it like Win XP did.. My sister has a laptop and it's got 2gig ram and it uses around 35% to run Vista. I'm not in a hurry to move over yet.

This is what their hoping to do by removing most of the processors at startup it uses less ram, giving more memory to the programs you run.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Thanks for the spell check:)

Spell check? Not at all. Processors and processes are two different words and completely change the meaning of the post. Kind of scary if you're a beta tester for Microsoft and don't know the difference I think.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Apparently it still uses the old NT kernel, which is disappointing...I thought Windows 7 was supposed to do away with the NT kernel?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Thanks for the spell check:)
Beautiful great news thanks...

Even with XP you can select what opens when running it. I'm sure Vista does this but i haven't had time for it to be honest.. It's confusing at times and a pain in the rear. I feel for my sister who is only starting out. She complains to me all the time about it being slow. And i told her i have heard most who run Vista go back to XP. Most stay because it allows for larger ram.

So I'll be waiting and watching the reviews.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
lol

Ill explain it a bit easier....

Windows XP and Vista have roughly 36 processes on startup.
Imagine taking all those 36 processes and making just one;) How quick would startup be?

As for it being on the vista kernal.... the answer is yes. It will be using the basic Vista kernel though it will also be a major release like Vista was (not just an update to vista but a complete new o/s)

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
The word is 'eliminate', not 'illiminate' :p

In regards to Vista and Win7 - I don't want an OS that looks good. I want an OS which is stable and runs everything at a high speed. Windows 3.1 runs much faster on older computers than any version of Windows since then runs on modern hardware. Even disabling services in Windows XP barely makes a difference.

They should be spending more time optimizing the code and making it run bloody fast, and then only add the eye candy where it'll have a minimal impact.

And no, I'm not going to run Linux. All my games work in Windows ;)

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
lol

Ill explain it a bit easier....

Windows XP and Vista have roughly 36 processes on startup.
Imagine taking all those 36 processes and making just one;) How quick would startup be?

As for it being on the vista kernal.... the answer is yes. It will be using the basic Vista kernel though it will also be a major release like Vista was (not just an update to vista but a complete new o/s)
Guess that is Microsoft's way of saying we ****ed Vista up:D. And people are not happy.