Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows Vista - New Windows Version

B

bns-sticky

I was just stuffing around tonight and I noticed some stuff of the Microsoft site about WINDOWS VISTA. Any techies out there know anything about it?

I have been out of the industry for nearly 5 years so I dont keep myself upto date with the techie stuff any more. I am sure there are people out there who know about it or involved in it maybe. Maybe there may be a BETA tester out there.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
you can get beta versions off the net if you feel like wasting 2.4gb..

I downloaded the april beta release.. it's got some cool stuff but i'm over it for now since there's a total lack of driver/app support for it.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
it was meant to be out about the same time as the next generation of intel chips (october/november I think), but has been delayed until after the new year. I think they are releasing a corporate version before Christmas. It apparently has a lot more eye candy that can use our fancy graphics cards and no more security holes. LOL.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah I haven't been able to turn on the eye candy.. could only get it to install on my older pc with crappy graphics and then no recent driver support either,

found it won't install to my usb hdd so i can't install it on my new notebook with better graphics (the hdd in the caddy is PATA, notebook takes SATA so can't just drop it in the notebook itself). older notebook is PATA so simple drive swap and install away..

MBS206

Reaction score
My mate had it...

He's a tech admin...

Said it's painful and horrid in the fact that the beta is totally unstable! Hopefully it's fixed before its released... Knowing Microsoft... It won't be...

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
dephilile said:
it was meant to be out about the same time as the next generation of intel chips (october/november I think), but has been delayed until after the new year. I think they are releasing a corporate version before Christmas. It apparently has a lot more eye candy that can use our fancy graphics cards and no more security holes. LOL.

They've been saying that for years. I still vote for XP SP1, had miles less problems on SP1 computer than on SP2 computer. seems to me that every patch they come up with creates the need for another. besides, every version of windows has 1000 hackers cut it up within 24 hours of it's release...

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
MBS206 said:
Said it's painful and horrid in the fact that the beta is totally unstable! Hopefully it's fixed before its released... Knowing Microsoft... It won't be...

Early betas were.. that's why they are called betas.. to work out the bugs.

Every release is more stable that the last with more features included, and they are being released at a rate of 1 beta per month.. so there'll be a fair few more betas released before it's finalised and released

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
The specs for running it are rather amusing, seach the net. Its 64bit based so an X86 chip is on the ay out im afraid in terms of what micro$hit are concerned. Imagine XP with 3D glasses on...thats VISTA (Project name Longhorn). im not gonna bother with it till at least SP1 has been relaesed for it...and there will be plenty of thoses things that are illegal that i dont use....serials thats it....Good on micro$hit for trying though...its been how many years now??? Although..on that note......they are making an "executive" version of an OS to compete with the UNIX platform..thats right, an OS that works with NO bells and whistles....will it happen the 1st time, probably not but thats why versions have updates and beta's etc...etc....

aZk.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I know a mate running it (albeit slightly sluggishly) on a p3-m 1.06ghz with 1gb ram and a 7200rpm 2.5" hdd... 32mb graphics.

Yeah he has to turn all the eye candy off and the hdd does work a bit... but it runs.

Current mid-high end systems will be fine for basic operation... just don't expect to be able to run all the fancy graphics unless you drop in a beefy vid card.