Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Issue

fozzy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 Vn Executive
just wondering if anyone would be able to help?
in my vn when i hit the break my parkers seem to come on front and rear just wondering if anyone can help me out trying to fix it

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
I would say wrong globe in the tail lights maybe. Does your dash light up too?

fozzy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 Vn Executive
yeh it lights up on dash too there was a trailer connection wired up in there aswell

VNVacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Vacationer
Are the parkers dull or bright when this happens? Maybe an earthing problem, any corrosion on the connections in your tail lights?

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
yeah i'm pretty sure thats caused by haing a single filatment globe in the dual filament holder in the tail lights. You press the brakes, which turns on the brake lights, but due to the incorrect globe, also turns on the parker circuit which lights up the dash.

Have you changed the tail light globes recently? otherwise there will be a short between the brake light and parker light circuits

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
100% it will be the wrong globe in a tail light, seen it happen many times before.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Work out which tail lights are which first.

Top two should be stop/tail
Bottom two should just be tail.

You can also identify this by the number of wires running to each globe. Top two stop lights should have one more wire running to them than the bottom two stop lights.

Pull out the globes, and check that both top globes have TWO filaments in them. This will be incredibly obvious.

If you can't understand all that, then simply pull out your tail light globes one at a time.

Remove one, test lights. Remove the next, test lights.

At some point you'll remove a globe that will fix the problem - that globe was the issue.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
which globes are the correct ones?

Both top and bottom of the stop/tail lights use double filament globes in all VN and VP. The pin heights are different between single and double filament globes so you'd have to force a single in but as ^^, ^^^ it does happen.

I see from your sig. that you have an early VN so both top and bottom will originally have lit as stop lights. Later in VN, and also VP, only the top lights are wired to light as stop lights (lower are park only) but are still double filament globes.

It is possible that the tail light harnesses in you car have been replaced at some point with the later type, so if the lower lights don't work as stop lights, it may be no problem. You can also tell by looking for there being only a single connector terminal, in one of the two holes, at the base of the socket for the globe.

All the other tail light globes i.e. reverse and indicator are single filament.